Ice cold

Disclaimer: Teen wolf does not belong to me in any way shape or form... I have soooo many essays to do but I couldn't resist updating haha (I hate myself lol) so I hope you all enjoy this next instalment :)

"So there you have it" Peter sighed, "there's the truth".

She was sitting on the hospital bed, her legs dangling off the edge as she tried to understand what he had just told her. Coming to terms with the fact her life was just more lies upon lies. Everything she thought she knew was just smoke screens. Everyone she ever cared about kept her in the dark.

"That... That can't be right" she mumbled, shaking her head, "I would remember..."

"You would, if it wasn't for Laura".

She looked up in shock, looking across at Peter in shock.

"Laura? What has Laura got to do with this?"

"She became the Alpha when Talia died, as you know" he explained, "Alphas have the power to tamper with, and take away memories. That, and the trauma, is it any wonder you can't remember?"

Tears blurred her vision, her head falling in defeat.

"So that's... that's what everyone hid from me?" she asked, "that I was in the fire, but survived?"

Peter inclined his head into a nod.

"But... But I've read the police reports and the articles. Nowhere does it mention me. My dad's statement says he was here alone. There's no physical evidence putting me there".

"Are you calling me a liar, Kayla?"

"I would know" she insisted, "I would know if I watched my entire family burn to death around me".

"It's maybe just as well you don't" he said, "it's not a pleasant memory".

"Okay, so let's pretend you're telling the truth" she gulped, "you and Dad hated each other. He wouldn't leave me alone with you, or at that house. So how-"

"You snuck back" Peter interrupted, the ghost of a smile on his face, "you loved it there when you were little. Playing hide and seek, climbing trees... of course you didn't want to be hauled up in a motel room. So you came back".

She faltered, straining her brain to try and remember something – anything – but she was drawing a blank. Yet something about his words resonated with her. Even though she couldn't remember, some part of her believed his words.

She pursed her lips, "yeah... sounds like me".

"The fact is, I don't know why they kept it from you" Peter said, sauntering around to stand in front of her, his arms clasped behind his back, "I wasn't there, and I can't speak for them. But they must have thought you were too weak to handle it".

She snapped her gaze to his, her glare fierce and bitter.

"I am not weak".

"I know that" he smiled, "believe it or not kiddo, I'm in your corner".

She scoffed, rolling her eyes.

"I am" he insisted, tilting his head to the side as he peered down at her, "in fact... I would say I'm the only one that is".

She remained quiet, trying to tune his words out.

"Your mom, aunt and dad knew I was your real father. Did they say anything? No. They all knew about the fire, as well as Derek and Laura, did they tell you the truth? No. They kept that hidden from you. And don't even get me started on that human of yours..."