The Lost Bet

Disclaimer: teen wolf does not belong to me in any way, shape or form :( thank you for all your continued support, it means the entire world to me :) I appreciate you all so much x

I've decided to do – yet again - another quick update because THIS IS WHAT WE HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR – STAYLAAAAAAA lol, so really hope you all enjoy this next instalment, it's just a cute fun builder chapter :)

That morning, before Kayla had laid eyes on Stiles at school, she had to pull herself from her bed having only had two hours of sleep. After her mom had gone to bed and Tabby had fallen asleep all curled up on the sofa after eating a mountain of homemade cookies, she stayed up with her aunt talking into the early hours of the night.

Her aunt Jane, five-ish years younger than her mom, was someone she had always been close to. She was nurturing and kind, a lovely radiating warmth that she always carried with her. Over the years Jane had often taken over the 'motherly' role, despite often not living close. Jane had moved around a lot before having Tabby with her deadbeat boyfriend 'Ron' and settling down in Virginia for the last five years. Despite the distance, she always tried to visit regularly. Knowing the difficulties Kayla and her mom had at connecting over the years, she always checked in with her and spoke to her about a lot of things her mom had no interest in – boys, periods, alcohol, drugs, anything she thought Kayla might need to know.

Obviously, since having Tabby, the visits lessened and so did the check-ins, but Kayla didn't mind. Jane's whole world was Tabby, and she did everything she could to put that little girl first and give her everything she needed – a warm home, a present mom, lots of laughter and attention and cuddles. She stayed with Ron, only for as long as she did, because it gave her the chance to stay at home and look after Tabby, being able to give her complete full and undivided attention.

Since catching up with Jane though, she learned that Ron's serial cheating and increased love of alcohol were becoming problematic and she didn't want Tabby growing up around that, so she left. That was only a few days ago and, with nowhere else to go, she was left in limbo – hence, staying with Kayla and her mom in Beacon Hills.

"It's good you left him" Kayla said, nursing her mug of warm hot chocolate filled to the brim with extra cream and marshmallows, tucked up on one end of the sofa, "he was a piece of shit. You deserve better".

Jane, on the other end of the sofa, a blanket thrown over her legs just simply nodded. "I didn't want Tabby around that kind of behaviour. He wasn't a good dad to her, and she's getting to that age where she notices things and asks questions".

She cast a glance at her cousin, sleeping soundly on the other sofa cuddling a teddy to her chest, her long dark hair splayed across her face.

"How many times did he try rehab?"

"Four" Jane sighed, "and every time he just went straight back to drinking. It was getting out of hand".

"He obviously just didn't want to - or wasn't ready - to change. You couldn't have made him. The decision was his and he fucked it up – continuously. You're both better off without him".

It was true. Jane was kind and loving and a truly beautiful soul. As well as that, she was drop-dead gorgeous. Her face, young for her years, was always glowing and flushed from laughter, her dark hair always falling so elegantly around her face.

"I know. This time it's done – for good" Jane nodded determinedly, "he's wasted enough of my time".

"I'm proud of you" Kayla smiled, a deep sense of relief that her aunt was safe and away from that useless bastard spreading through her body, happy Jane was finally taking some of her own advice.