Chapter XXX

Hope Emily Nightingale

We'd landed a few hours ago and were having dinner

We'd landed a few hours ago and were having dinner. I'd ordered pasta while Fina opted for pizza. She seemed on edge, like she had something important to say but couldn't find the words. Sensing her unease, I set down my fork and rested my hand on her back. She froze, clearly lost in thought.

"You can tell me anything, you know. I'll never judge you. And I'll always love you, no matter what. You're like the younger sister I never had. I'll be here to support you through anything," I reassured her, giving her shoulder a gentle squeeze.

"Fina blurted out, "Sleeping with Remo was my choice." Confusion flickered across my face. Why was she bringing this up now? But she continued, explaining, "I know everyone, including you, thinks he raped me, but he didn't. He wouldn't have touched me if I'd said no. But I didn't. I wanted it. I know this might make you hate me, but I couldn't keep it a secret."

I chuckled softly. Clearly, she didn't realize I could sense her emotions. "I know," I replied simply.

She looked puzzled. "What do you mean, 'I know'?"

"I was in your head," I explained. "Your emotions were so strong, they pulled me in. Your desire, guilt, self-hatred... I don't know how your family will react, but I'm genuinely happy for you. You should be able to choose who you give your virginity to, not your parents.

" Oh no! Were you in my head the whole time?" She seemed embarrassed as hell.

" God no. It was disturbing enough with a few glimpses."

Relief washed over her, and she laughed at my comment about not being in her head the whole time she was with him. But I knew I had to share too. Summoning my courage, I confessed, "I actually slept with Nino too." Her jaw dropped before she squealed in delight.

"I can't believe you finally found someone! By the way you rejected those other guys, I thought you'd die single."

I chuckled at her dramatic statement. "I'm not sure though. His family hates me, and he might want a woman from the mafia lifestyle. Someone who'll be the perfect trophy wife. Let's face it, I'll never be that. I don't like giving up control and letting my partner decide everything. Maybe that day was the last time I'll see him."

"If he picks someone else over you, he's a nutcase. Who needs a mafia princess when they can have a witch queen?" Fina hyped me up, but deep down, I struggled with confidence. My past experiences had tainted my outlook on life. The only person I knew wouldn't betray me was Serafina. She'd been there through it all, and I'd be there for her too.

All I wanted to do was fly to Vegas and tell Nino everything, about my past and about who I really am, but I knew it was a bad idea. His siblings would likely want to skin me alive as of now. Before Fina caught onto my thoughts, I changed the subject.

"Now, tell me more about Remo. Did you fall for him?"

Fina's expression darkened. "I hoped Remo would abandon the plan to return me, and we could have something. But I was just a pawn. He discarded me as soon as he got what he wanted. He used me as a bargaining chip for Fabiano's father. I was falling for him, but he broke my heart. And now I have to live with that."

My heart ached for her. It seemed both of our love lives were complicated.

"What about Danilo? Will you marry him?" I asked, trying to steer the conversation in a less painful direction.

"No! I can't. I could have before, but not anymore. I can't be his wife. Remo has my heart. Danilo can never be Remo. I'd rather be single. No matter what my parents say, I'm putting myself first this time."

"Good for you. I'm proud of you. Who knows, maybe we're not destined for just one person. I'm sure you'll find someone," I reassured her, though her doubtful expression suggested she didn't believe me. Still, she seemed relieved after opening up about everything. And I felt lighter too after sharing about Nino.