Chapter XXVI

Hope Emily Nightingale

The next few weeks passed uneventfully

The next few weeks passed uneventfully. I had set time limits for hanging out with Nino because otherwise, I couldn't get any of my work done. Everything seemed fine, except for the absence of Fina, which was impossible if I wanted Nino around. I knew that Serafina and Remo had also formed a bond from the few glimpses into her head.

Then, all too soon, the day I dreaded the most arrived. I woke up with Nino by my side. He was already awake, tracing patterns on my back. I smiled at him and greeted him good morning. He kissed me, and we spent a few moments just in each other's arms until my phone rang, displaying Remo's caller ID. My stomach sank.

I looked over at Nino, and he sat up, pulling me onto his lap, encouraging me to answer the call on speakerphone. "Hope Emily Nightingale," Remo's voice came through, "I plan on releasing Serafina Mione. In return, I want my brother to be released too. The date is fixed for the day after tomorrow. Bring him to Indianapolis. We'll make our exchange there."

As soon as he finished speaking, he hung up. I turned to face Nino. We would have to fly out today. These were the last two days with Nino. My heart felt consumed by darkness.

"This is going to be the end, isn't it?" I voiced my concern to Nino.

He nodded. "For now. But I really hope that someday this enmity will cease, and we can find each other again."

"Come on, Nino. You are smarter than that, and you know your brother well. That will never happen on his watch," I said, turning around and resting my forehead against his.

"We always knew this was how our story would end, didn't we?" My voice broke as I spoke.

Nino tangled his fingers into my hair and gently kissed my lips.

"If we're meant to be, we'll find each other again."

That made me chuckle, even though I was feeling miserable.

"You and I both know you don't believe in destiny or fate," I said.

"You'd be surprised at what I've started believing in over the past two months," Nino replied, gently stroking my cheeks. I smiled softly at that.

"Let's forget that we're going to go our separate ways and make the most of our time together," I suggested.

"Doesn't Miss Workaholic have work to do?" Nino teased. I playfully slapped his hand.

"No! Work can wait. If it piles up too much, I'll dump half of it on my brother."

Nino just laughed at that before pulling my head to his chest and holding me close. I could hear his heartbeat from where my head was positioned.

As we lay there, wrapped in each other's arms, I couldn't shake off the looming feeling of impending separation. But for those fleeting moments, I wanted to cherish every second with Nino.

Eventually, we reluctantly got up, knowing that we had to prepare for the journey ahead. Packing felt like a daunting task, knowing it was the last of our time together. This would rip is both apart. We would be continents apart.

Nino insisted on helping me pack, his touch gentle yet firm, as if trying to convey his silent support amidst the chaos. We moved around the room, gathering essentials and exchanging bittersweet glances, each moment feeling both too short and too precious.

As we headed to the airport, the atmosphere between us was a mixture of quiet determination and unspoken sorrow. Our hands found solace in each other's grip, drawing strength from the silent reassurance of our bond.

During the flight, we sat close, lost in our own thoughts yet finding comfort in each other's presence. There were no words left to say, only the weight of impending separation hanging heavily in the air.

Arriving at our destination, the reality of the situation hit me like a wave. This was it. The moment we had been dreading and preparing for had finally arrived.

But amidst the uncertainty and fear, there was also a glimmer of hope. A hope that somehow, against all odds, we would find our way back to each other. And as we faced the inevitable parting, I held onto that hope with all my heart. After all hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness. The name my parents chose for me was an indication that I was their hope, their light in the darkness.