Chapter XXIII

Nino Falcone

As I awakened the next day, a warmth enveloped my chest

As I awakened the next day, a warmth enveloped my chest. Gently, I opened my eyes to find Hope still asleep, nestled against me.The soft morning light filtered through the curtains, casting a warm glow across the room. I couldn't help but smile as I watched Hope sleep peacefully, her gentle breaths creating a soothing rhythm. With a tender touch, I brushed a strand of hair from her face, cherishing the simple beauty of the moment.

Reflecting on yesterday's conversation, I felt relieved that we managed to resolve the misunderstanding from our argument. When Hope stormed out, I instantly regretted my words; they weren't true. While with Hope, thoughts of escaping only ever crossed my mind fleetingly when she left after we spent time together, but I never truly desired it. However, the realization that my brothers, Remo, Savio, or Adamo, might have been harmed in my absence filled me with guilt for enjoying my time with my captor, who i thought knew about the attack, at the time. I attempted to regain control by provoking her animosity towards me, but it only exacerbated my inner turmoil. I know Remo wouldn't try to harm Hope if he understood the unintentional bond I had formed with her.

Once Serafina is freed, Remo will likely be emotionally unstable, unable to accept Hope easily. From what I observed during Serafina's captivity, it's evident she holds a significant place in Remo's head. While I'm not suggesting romantic love, his fixation on her is unparalleled. Seeing Hope would constantly trigger memories of Serafina, intensifying his desire for retribution against Hope. Therefore, I understand the necessity of distancing myself from Hope temporarily until the situation settles down.

As she nestled closer, I adjusted my position slightly, feeling the weight of her head against my chest. "Morning, sleepy," I said, my voice soft but devoid of the romantic tone.

She blinked a few times, adjusting to the light. "Morning," she mumbled, her tone indicating she was still half in dreamland.

I stifled a yawn, trying to shake off the last remnants of sleep. "Did you sleep okay?" I asked, my hand absentmindedly stroking her hair.

"Yeah, not bad," she replied, her voice still groggy. "Your snoring didn't keep me up too much."

I chuckled, giving her a playful nudge. "Hey, I don't snore," I protested, earning a playful swat in return.

We lay there for a moment, enjoying the comfortable silence before the start of another day.

As we lay there, I glanced at the clock on the bedside table and realized that she was running late for work. "Hey, we should probably get up," I said, reluctantly pulling away from her.

She groaned in protest, burying her face further into the crook of my neck. "I can just call in sick and we stay like this all day?" she mumbled, her voice muffled by my chest.

I chuckled, running a hand through her hair. "As tempting as that sounds, we both know you'll have double the work tomorrow," I replied, gently coaxing her to sit up.

"Would you like to come down and help me make breakfast?" Hope asked. Feeling a bit playful, I decided to tease her.

"Well, ma'am, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to leave the room," I quipped, a mischievous glint in my eyes.

She rolled her eyes at me and walked over, grabbing both of my hands and dragging me towards the washroom. With a playful push, she nudged me inside.

"Freshen up and meet me downstairs," she instructed, her tone slightly bossy.

As she turned to leave, I couldn't resist the opportunity to pull her back against my chest, wrapping an arm around her waist.

"Careful there, sweetheart. Think twice before you roll your eyes at me," I teased, a smirk playing on my lips.

She glanced up at me with a feigned innocence. "I'll keep that in mind," she replied before turning towards the door of the washroom. With a deliberate eye roll, she dashed off, most likely to her room.

I chuckled aloud, contemplating how she managed to be both dangerous and childish simultaneously. The day I was kidnapped, I perceived her as a serious and threatening individual. I couldn't comprehend how Serafina and she could be friends, given their stark differences. However, witnessing this playful side of her now, I realize her demeanor was cold toward us because she deemed us as enemies. I'm grateful she allows me to glimpse this aspect of her personality.