Epilogue

Hope Emily Nightingale

Remo had almost completely recovered, and our fight was scheduled in a couple of hours

Remo had almost completely recovered, and our fight was scheduled in a couple of hours. My relationship with Nino had grown much stronger, and we spent most of our time together.

Serafina, Leona (who I had met the other day), Fabiano, Nino, Savio, and Adamo were gathered around the fighting cage.

Once Remo and I entered, the cage was locked. It felt like a dogfight. I quickly focused back on Remo. He was standing at the other end of the cage with a smirk, clearly confident he’d win. But the only person I’ve ever lost to is my brother, and that was only a handful of times.

"Better not underestimate me and hold back, or you'll pay for it," I warned him.

He just laughed it off, saying he’d be the judge of that. Nino blew the whistle to start the spar. As usual, I didn’t make the first move. Remo waited a few minutes before charging at me. I kept my feet grounded and didn’t move until he was too close. I stepped out of the way and kicked the back of his knees, causing him to land on his hands and knees.

"Fina, didn’t you want to see him kneel? This is for you," I joked. Nino had a proud smirk on his face.

Remo growled and attacked me again. This time, he managed to punch me in the gut. I stumbled back before laughing.

"Damn it! You're not as strong as I thought," I said. Remo looked confused. He had landed the punch, yet I called him weak.

It was my turn now. I charged at him, throwing punch after punch. He managed to dodge all of them; he had good reflexes. I threw a punch at his face as a distraction. When he blocked it and grinned, I kicked him in the gut. His eyes widened. Guess he didn’t see that coming. Serafina and Leona were cheering for me, while Savio and Fabiano cheered for Remo. Nino and Adamo  simply watched, concentration etched on their faces. The fight went on for a long time. I was getting bored, so I decided to end it.

I charged at Remo and wrapped my legs around his neck, cutting off his air supply. He immediately threw himself back against the cage, trying to push me off. However, I had a strong grip. There was no way I was losing just because I was bashed against the boundary of the cage. After a moment, he lifted his hand as a sign for me to stop. I got down and grinned at him.

He looked grumpy, but I was having too much fun. Savio and Fabiano quieted down while the girls cheered. Nino looked proud of me, which made me feel warm. Adamo hugged me as soon as I got out of the cage.

"That was awesome. I've never seen Remo lose a fight to anyone," he gushed.

"That was pretty impressive. If only Leona could fight like that, I'd be more sure of her safety," Fabiano said, earning a smack on the back of his head. Fabiano just pulled her into his chest, whispering something into her ear.

I looked at Nino, who opened his arms. I wrapped my hands around him.

"I can't explain how fucking proud I am of you. You beat Remo, the Capo of Camorra. That's not something just anyone can do," Nino whispered in my ear.

"I can kick your ass too," I said, laughing.

"If you guys are going to make out, do it somewhere private," Savio grinned.

I blushed. Looks like I’ll have to show him another jump-scare video to shut him up.

Remo walked up to me and held out his hand for me to shake. I was shocked, but I placed my hand in his.

"That was awesome. I’ll expect the same when I fight you next time," he said. "Welcome to the Falcone family, Hope." Remo left the room, followed by the others, leaving Nino and me.

"Do you want to spar?" I asked him. His eyes showed mischief.

"I’d much rather do something else," he said, slowly pushing me until my back was pressed against the cage. He brought his lips down to mine. I felt complete with Nino, my new family. Everything was perfect. I hoped it would stay that way.

But life isn’t a fairytale. Of course, something would be waiting for us down the road.

The only comfort is that Nino's and my hearts were chained to one another.

END OF BOOK ONE