Chapter XX

Hope Emily Nightingale

A few days had passed, and each day, I found myself spending more and more time with Nino

A few days had passed, and each day, I found myself spending more and more time with Nino. Apart from that, my days were consumed by work.

Just like any other day, I was in my office when suddenly, I was thrust into Fina's mind. Everything around me was pitch black, resembling a blackout. A tall figure entered the room. Fina attempted to retaliate, but her combat skills were still unpolished, hindered by her parents' restrictions on spending time with me, making it challenging to train her effectively. The tall figure effortlessly evaded her and pinned her against the wall, his chest pressing against her back.

"No soup today?" Instantly, I recognized the voice as Savio's. He mentioned something about an outfit attack, to which Fina responded by expressing hope that the outfit could defeat Remo and the others.

Savio revealed that Remo was responsible for the blackout and that the fate of her brother, Samuel, rested in his hands. I could sense Fina's fear coursing through her veins, her concern for her brother's safety palpable. That fool Samuel had acted recklessly, failing to consider the consequences of his actions. He hadn't contemplated the possibility of failure and what it would mean for Fina. Acting solely on emotions was a grave error, the height of folly.

"Savio locked her in the bathroom. She banged on the door, but after Savio's warning that he would kill any outsider who came near, she simply sank to her knees. She remained in that position until Remo opened the door."

" Your brother tried to save you. I must say he's brave."

" No your lying. Dante would never send him here."

" He didn't need your uncle's orders to do that he would die for you."

" No! Please if you.. if you" she couldn't even complete the sentence."Kill me too."

" He's not dead yet." Remo said. " I don't know how long that will last though."

" Please spare my brother." Serafina got on her knees in front of her. I wanted so badly to just be there and protect her from that nightmare." I'm on my knees, please spare him."

Remo forcibly pulled her hand and dragged her into the room. She hastily removed her nightgown, discarding her bra and panties. Her hand trembled as she reached for Remo's belt. This is the most torturous experience for me, watching Serafina endure this. How monstrous can he be? This is no different from rape.

" Your so strong. So hard to break." Remo said as he removed her hands from his belt.
" You preferred pain over giving me your body but you so easily surrendered when it came to your brother."

" But I'm broken. I'm giving you my body and I'm begging you to spare my brother."

" Protecting someone you love is not a weakness. I'll spare your brother. I'll send him back but I need you to pretend like you paid the price for his sins."

As I found myself back in my own office, I realized Remo had spared her. He wasn't as much of a monster as I had thought. Rushing to Nino's room, I found him seated by the window, engrossed in a book on medicine.

Approaching him, I grabbed his hand and knelt before him, feeling the urgency to divulge everything.

"Samuel and two other members of the outfit attempted to free Fina by attacking the Camorra mansion. Remo allowed Samuel to return, leading him to believe Fina paid the price for his recklessness."

Nino jerked his hand away, glaring at me with an unsettling calmness.

"Were you part of the attack plan?" he asked, his tone dangerous.

"Of course not. I only wanted Fina's release, not to harm anyone unrelated to her."

"I should have taken the chance to eliminate you earlier. I got close to you for that reason - to catch you off guard and execute my escape plan."

His words felt like a dagger to my heart. Was this all a calculated scheme? I had hoped for something different, but he was a Falcone, like Remo - ruthless. I knew it was a doomed hope, but a part of me held onto it. He would probably revel in seeing me suffer if he knew what I truly was.

"So, this was all a façade to escape. Even at my most vulnerable, you can't defeat me. I thought you captivity could be tolerable, but you took advantage of my kindness. You'll stay in this room. Dean or I will bring you food. If you want to be a captive, that's all you'll be," I said, my voice steady despite my inner turmoil.

Locking the door behind me, I kept the key and retreated to my room before my emotions overwhelmed me. Though I knew Nino was simulating feelings, they felt so genuine that I almost believed in them. Dean had been right. Deep down, I had believed Nino was different. Now, it was clear - I was just a pawn. I would have to show him who the real strategist was.

Dialing Remo's number, I realized my reluctance to let Nino go had vanished. After his revelation and manipulation, I wanted him gone as soon as possible.

"Remo, time is running out. The longer you delay Fina's release, the more Nino will suffer. The clock is ticking."

Before he could respond, I hung up. Tomorrow, I would bury any remaining emotions towards Nino and revert to how I was in those first two days - emotionless and focused.