Chapter II

Hope Emily Nightingale
Three months ago

Upon arriving in Chicago, I made my way directly to Fina's house after picking up a hot chocolate from a nearby store

Upon arriving in Chicago, I made my way directly to Fina's house after picking up a hot chocolate from a nearby store. As I approached the door, I knocked, and was met by the stern countenance of Samuel Mione, Serafina's twin.

"She's getting married soon. She can't continue associating with you, causing trouble, and risking her reputation."

Indeed, quite the warm welcome! It seems the hospitality outfit is on full display here. And here I was thinking I was the grumpy one.

"It's bloody hilarious hearing that from a bloke who probably screwed his way through half of Chicago. And as for Fina getting married, it wasn't her bloody choice. Maybe you'd see how distressed she was if you had stopped living in your bloody head, which by the way is filled with cow dung." I then plastered a very fake sweet smile on my face and continued. "You'll be seeing me around a lot. Good talk. Bye."

I brushed past him and entered the house, making a beeline for Fina's room. Her mother was seated on the sofa, shooting me a disapproving glare.

I gently tapped on Fina's door. She called out for me to enter. I opened the door to find her reclining in bed, gazing up at the ceiling with a distant expression in her eyes.

"Hey there." I greeted as I entered her room, shutting the door behind me. Then, I joined her in bed, offering my company as we both gazed up at the ceiling.

"I'm supposed to count myself fortunate that the guy I'm arranged to isn't violent or degrading. But I just have this unsettling feeling about the wedding."

"Wouldn't your parents consider calling off the wedding?"

"Not likely. It's only three months away, and besides, what if they call off this marriage only to arrange another with someone who might not even be as considerate?"

"Don't you ever dream of marrying for love? I mean, I know these idiots don't get it, but you deserve to marry someone you truly love. To find the right guy."

"I wish I could, but honor dictates that I marry Danilo. Besides, you haven't had much luck finding the right man either! You'd better start putting in some effort, or you'll still be single when you're old and wrinkly."

"I'm quite enjoying my freedom for now. Besides, I'm not single; I'm dating myself. Most importantly, I'm only nineteen. I still have three-quarters of my life ahead of me. I'll find love someday. Probably."

Serafina chuckled, then rose from the bed and walked over to her desk. She handed me a paper with dates written on it, which left me looking puzzled.

"These are important days, like wedding dress shopping day and the engagement party, among others. Could you please be there with me on these days?"

"Of course! I wouldn't miss it for the world!"

"Now let's go have some fun. Enjoy your time being single." She gave a huge smile and nodded.

After she finished changing into black skinny fit jeans and a white top paired with a leather jacket, we headed downstairs.

Before her parents could say anything to dampen her mood, I interjected, saying, "I'll make sure she's back by 10 pm. And don't worry, no boys!"