Chapter III

Hope Emily Nightingale
                Night before:

I approached the door of Fina's suite in Indianapolis and knocked gently

I approached the door of Fina's suite in Indianapolis and knocked gently. It dawned on me that this might be the last chance for us to enjoy a cozy night together before she got married, as I doubted her future husband would appreciate me whisking her away for a girls-only night.

I encountered Fina's mother, and she cast a disapproving glance in my direction.

"Fina is getting married tomorrow. She can't continue tarnishing her reputation by associating with a girl who lacks self-control," she said, her expression conveying disgust.

"Interesting that you mention that, considering you're the one essentially selling her off to her future husband for your own pleasure. She's only 18, barely an adult. Trust me, I'm a better companion for her than any of you, her deceitful, contemptible family members. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a friend who needs my support."

Her mother looked furious as I walked past her towards Fina's room. Without hesitation, Fina swung the door open and pulled me inside. Instantly, I sensed she was about to lecture me for my confrontation with her mother. Well, I couldn't blame her; after all, she is her mother.

"What are you doing? My dad will be furious with you for speaking to Mom like that! Thank you for defending me, but you also need to take care of yourself."

"I'll be fine, Fina. Remember, I'm one of the most powerful witches, or did you forget? Besides, I came here for our final sleepover for a while. Also, I need to let you know that I won't be accompanying you on the car ride to the church. I have something to take care of before the wedding, but don't worry, I'll be back in time to be your bridesmaid. For now, let's enjoy the night."

"Uh oh. Why do I get the feeling you're going to threaten my future husband to take good care of me?"

"Not really. I have some business with my business associate. But thanks for reminding me, I also need to have a nice little chat with Danilo."

I had a gnawing sense of unease about tomorrow. Perhaps I was just overreacting because my best friend was getting married. But something felt amiss. As Serafina prepared for bed, I found myself staring out the window. Suddenly, I noticed a slight movement in the grass. I blinked and looked again, but there was nothing. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.

"What's wrong?"

I turned around to find Fina looking at me with a worried expression on her face.

"Oh nothing! Just thought I saw something."

"Let's go to bed. I have to wake up early tomorrow."

She climbed into the queen-sized bed, and I followed suit, settling in on the other side of the bed.

"Wow I really can't believe you're getting married. I hope he treats you right."

I glanced over at her to see that she was already asleep. She must've been exhausted. Tenderly, I placed a gentle kiss on her forehead before attempting to get some sleep myself.