Chapter XVI

Hope Emily Nightingale

I kissed Nino Falcone, my captive. Well, he initiated the kiss, but I reciprocated. That wasn't part of the plan, but I found myself enjoying it more than I expected. Despite my initial shock, I couldn't deny that I really liked his kiss. It was my first kiss, and I struggled to resist the urge to run my hand along his chest.

I went straight to my room and locked the door. It's been two hours, and I'm still confused. Maybe I'll talk to him after I get some rest. I'll avoid him for the rest of the day; it shouldn't be hard since he's usually cooped up in his room.

That night, I asked my brother to take food for Nino. I needed to clear my head before taking this further. There's no way it could last. After Serafina is released, I have to let him go. But I can't go with him because his brothers probably hate me and want my head on a silver platter.

I got very little sleep that night. There was so much sexual tension every time I thought about that kiss. The way one of his hands was tangled in my hair while the other was holding my wrist to his chest.

The next morning, I summoned up the courage to approach him. Balancing both our breakfasts, I knocked on his door with my foot. He invited me in, but his back remained turned. I placed the plates down, still, he didn't turn. The phoenix tattoo on his back, my favorite, tempted me to trace it with my fingers.

"Nino, can we talk?" I finally said.

Nino sat up, looking surprised. He seemed to think I'd sent my brother again, like last night.

"I thought you were avoiding me. If you want, we can pretend it never happened," he said softly. Then, almost in a whisper, "Though I enjoyed every moment of that kiss."

I heard what he said because my hearing is very sharp.

"Let's have breakfast first, then we can talk. I even made a point to dine with you today to make up for missing yesterday."

As we ate in silence, I found myself clad in one of my brother's hoodies, its length reaching down to mid-thigh, leaving me wearing only underwear beneath. This habit stemmed from our usual lack of guests.

After we finished our meal, I cleared our plates and placed them on the bedside table.

Now, facing him, I struggled to find the right words.

"Regarding yesterday's events, there are some factors to consider, such as the inevitability of this being temporary. Once Fina is released, we'll have to part ways. Despite that, I find it difficult to think logically when I'm with you. However, if we both agree, we can choose to live in the moment. What are your thoughts?"

" I'll gladly live in the moment. But there are some things I need to tell you. I can't feel."

" Feel what?" I asked, confused by the statement.

" Feel. Any sort of emotions. So there won't be any anger but there also won't be any affection or love." He said, his eyes were locked with mine, probably trying to gauge out my reaction. " But I can simulate affection during this time frame."

" I'll think about that. That's definitely something to process."

I rose abruptly and walked over to where he sat with his legs stretched out. Climbing onto his lap, I hoped this wouldn't end poorly. Lowering my head, I kissed him gently, allowing him to take the lead since I lack experience in this.

He nibbled my lips gently before passionately kissing me, igniting sparks within me. His hands slipped under my hoodie, gliding over my back, causing butterflies to flutter in my stomach. Unexpectedly, he flipped us over. I tangled my fingers in his hair, feeling its smooth texture.

His lips trailed from my mouth to my neck, igniting a shiver as he nibbled on my skin, eliciting an unexpected moan from my lips. I was taken aback by the intensity of my body's response. The heat emanating from him was palpable, and I could feel the pressure of his arousal pressing against my stomach through his pants.

After a few more minutes of passionate kissing, he finally eased off, and I found myself staring at the ceiling, my breath uneven. It was undeniably the most intense experience I'd ever had. Despite my desire to nestle into his embrace, his earlier words about not feeling lingered in my mind. I gazed at him intently.

"Nino, I think I want you to simulate affection."

He nodded understandingly and opened his arms, inviting me to cuddle against his chest. I nestled into his warmth, seeking solace in the facade of intimacy. Exhaustion from the previous day's overthinking soon overtook me, and I drifted off into a peaceful sleep.