Chapter XXXXI

Hope Emily Nightingale

I was so relieved that Nino didn't see me as a monster when i told him that I was a witch

I was so relieved that Nino didn't see me as a monster when i told him that I was a witch. He loves me. It's still hard to wrap my head around. I had made myself believe that no one would want someone like me. Broken. A freak compared to humans. Him telling me he loved me after I told him everything broke down the final wall I kept around my heart. Nino successfully broke down all of my walls.

The next day I felt more at peace. Actually happy, after a really long time. Remo was slowly recovering. He was the most difficult patient. I had to threaten to tie him up in bed in order to get him to rest properly. I'm sure he'll take all this out on me during the spar that we promised we'd have.

That night as i entered into the room Nino immediately scooped me into his arms, causing me to let out a yelp followed by laughter. He sat down against the headboard of the bed and pulled me into his chest. I was still in shorts and crop top. He ran his fingers under my top sending shivers up my back.

"Today I'll tell you my story." Nino broke the silence. "Once I do there won't be any more secrets between us. No lies."

I nodded, excited that he's finally letting me in.

"My mother loves our father. Rumour says that she even killed his fiance so she could get married to him. Our father however had no such emotions. He was a Camorra made man, love was weakness to him. He raped and beat up our mother. He brought other women home while everyone everyone was there. Our mother slowly started to lose herself. She started taking drugs and she was barely ever there. She was not like most mom's who always protect their children." Nino looked at me trying to gauge out my reaction. I pressed myself further into his chest and looked up at him encouraging him to continue.

"When she fell pregnant with Adamo, she was forced to stop drugs. Dad locked her up in the room we had kept Fina in. That's why there are bars on the windows. She went crazy after that. One evening dad brought us to his vacation house in some nearby forest. He left because of some emergency. Mother was heavily pregnant with Adamo. It was very close to delivery time. She came and woke me up in the middle of the night and brought me to her bedroom. I was confused. Savio, who was only three, was lying on her bed motionless. She grabbed my arms and slit my wrists."

I gasped. I did not see that coming. I grabbed his wrists and traced my fingers gently over them. My heart broke for him. Nino bent down and pressed a soft kiss against my lips before he continued.

" She brought in Remo last. He actually put up a fight so she set the curtains on fire. The smell of smoke was suffocating and all i could do was kneel in the pool of my own blood cradling my hands. The born felt good but i knew that the bleeding was not going to stop. "

"How did you escape." My voice broke as I asked, tears welled up in my eyes.

"Remo threw a lamp at the window and tore down the burning curtains. He burned himself badly and his shirt also was on fire. He helped me out first. I broke my leg jumping from there. He then carried Savio I'm and jumped. He broke his elbow and shoulder because he was trying to protect Savio. Camorra men later saved mother."

I straddled his lap and hugged him. He wrapped his arms around me. He rubbed my back slowly, drawing patterns.

"Please tell me your father killed her." I asked, pulling back from the hug.

"No. After cutting out Adamo he forced us to live under the same roof as her. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger right?"

"Where is she now?"

"She's in a psych ward. Neither Remo nor i have enough will power to do it yet." I nodded and went back to hugging him tightly. After spending some time in absolute silence, I was overcome by sleep.

The next morning i went to Remo's room. I didn't bother knocking. As soon as I saw him, I saw the small version of him protecting his brothers. I rushed to him and the my arms around him. He stiffened and looked surprised.

"Thank you! For saving him." Remo tensed further. He slowly placed a hand behind my back.

"Nino told you." It was a statement not a question. I pulled back and nodded.

I knew this would be more awkward if i just stayed there so i headed to the door before turning around.

"I'm looking forward to that spar."

"Me too." Remo said smirking. I closed the door behind me and headed back to nino who was playing a video game with Adamo. I sat down next to him and stole his controller and continued playing against Adamo. Nino chuckled at my childishness and pulled me into his lap.