Chapter 41. Strange Magic

"She's watching us. No. You. She's watching you."

The man's obsidian eyes watched the blonde witch with absolute interest. Her eyes were closed, and for a split second, she opened them to meet the questioning glare of the shabby Hogwarts Potions Master. She gave him a brief smile as she oriented him about what she was talking about.

The room they were both in wasn't at all luxurious. There were humble furniture placed inside, which was nothing more than a simple bed, a reclining chair, and a fireplace. The room was obviously not used for visitors but a temporary abode for an outsider. After being dragged in the gardens of Ilvermorny that morning, Snape asked his apprentice to join him after the little encounter they had with a certain Ilvermorny Professor and an old acquaintance. He hated the room for no reason. He didn't like the ambience, or maybe he didn't like being in a foreign place at all.

They were sitting there for quite some time relishing the silence, the older teacher watching the girl with careful eyes. His thoughts were clearly elsewhere, so when she spoke to him, he was baffled and wondered what her words actually meant.

"I can sense the impatience inside her. It affects her magic quite dramatically. She wants to see you without you knowing," she flashed a beautiful smile to him, and he stepped a little towards her to completely understand what she was trying to tell him. She knew that his burning curiosity was dangerous. Sooner or later, he'd squeeze her to death if she didn't stop being so cryptic. She shook her head slightly at the thought. He can be mysterious all the time, but he is less than thrilled to decipher one's enigmatic nature. It hardly seems fair.

She faced him this time, and the Professor waited for her to start explaining. He hated waiting. It's never new to anyone. He's the most impatient person you can ever meet. "A charm. She's performing a charm to be able to look through walls. She's watching you right this moment. She's getting annoyed, for she couldn't hear anything inside this room. This place is sound-proof, you see, an enchantment laid to conceal any colloquy from the outside, " she spoke again, not wanting to disappoint him further.

Snape eyes grew wide upon hearing her exposition. Who was outside his door? She... No, it can't be! Could it be her?

He fixed his gaze to the female in front of him to check if she was telling the truth. He found no mockery on her face, and when she nodded at him, he was sure that she confirmed to him who he thought the person watching and trying to eavesdrop at them at that precise moment. He was almost tempted to grab the doorknob and push it open to see the girl he was most anxious to see. Is she there? Why was she standing outside his door? How did she come up with a powerful spell to intrude into someone's privacy? He couldn't contain himself any longer.

"Don't do anything. You wouldn't want to push her away further. Leave her be, Professor. " she closed her eyes again and hummed a muggle lullaby as Snape froze in his seat like a statue.

Minutes passed, and Snape wanted to know if she was still outside his door. He didn't know what to do, so he quickly touched his apprentice's hand and called her in a rough tone.

"Olivia, please..."

The Ravenclaw girl was extremely surprised to hear him speak her given name for the second time. This was no dream. This was no coincidence either. It was music to her ears when she heard him say her name. She gave him another dashing smile and nodded towards him.

"She hasn't left. She's watching you, still."

Snape couldn't form a sentence after that. Hermione Granger was here behind that oak door. She's watching him while he sat beside Ms. O'Brien. What does she feel about it? Was she jealous? Will he be able to push her feelings back to him? He wanted to know.