Chapter 10. Eavesdropping

A cadaverous-looking demoiselle fetched her cloak from her dormitory and set off through the portrait hole down through the peaceful castle and out through the gates of Hogwarts rather swiftly.

She made her way tardily down the misty glade. It was breezy and cold, for only days were to have waited before the snowfall appears. The plants in the lawn danced to the movement of the wind, which made the mood unbalanced and deranged.

The exhausted female went out to see Hagrid because she needed someone to talk to. It was always been her habit to share her intentions and troubles with the half-giant for during times of bereavement, he was the only person she could confide in. She used to visit him and tell him the problems that puzzled her, especially in their third year when her friendship with Harry and Ron was on the brink of destruction.

She rapped the door lightly but no answer was heard. An uncommon silence followed her continuous knocking on Hagrid's door. She waited for a little more but still, there was no reply. She was almost convinced that Hagrid was out and tried to leave when a sound of ponderous footsteps stopped her in her tracks. The door of the little hut rasped loudly as it opened.

A nervous man double the size of a person showed up at the door. Hagrid stood there looking uneasy and his voice cracked as he spoke. "Hermione, wha' you doin' 'ere?"

"Hagrid! Are you okay?" the brunette asked. "I just thought maybe I could talk to you because I haven't seen you in the past few weeks." The girl with brown curls noticed that she was embraced by unwelcome arms, she felt very disappointed and wanted to leave already.

"It seems that you are preoccupied with other things. My visit must be at the wrong time. I am sorry, Hagrid. I better go."

The half-giant caught her pain and discomfort, so he called her back and hoped that he hasn't hurt the young girl's feelings.

"Wait, 'Ermione. I thought you came 'ere ter see me. It wu'd really please me 'f you'd come in."

He felt so much relieved when the girl turned back to face him and she smiled. "I would love that. Thanks, Hagrid."

She entered the hut to see familiar surroundings. The house was always unorganized yet the feeling of solacement and consolation will always be there.

"Sorry, 'Ermione. It seems tha' I don't 'ave anythin' ter offer you. My cupboards em'ty and I haven't been goin' out lately." The half-giant was searching for something from his supplies cabinet but his face fell in dismay.

"It's alright. I don't mind, Hagrid." The girl sensed the man's panic so she immediately blew out the candle to avoid confusion.

"Hagrid, I want to ask you something." Hermione's face changed colour which resembled the faint shade of sour milk.

The man sat on his fluffy chair and nodded to the girl. "Wha' is then? Somethin' troublin' you?"

Hagrid appeared to know everything about her. Of course, her brain was filled with angry, crazy thoughts. And even once in a while, she wanted to diminish the twinge of the cuts which was brought about by Foster's words.

"Do you really think nobody truly cares about me? Am I not worth loving? Am I incapable of loving?" Unshed tears started to surge out of her eyes, but she forced them back into their confines.

"Who told you these, 'Ermione? That's nothin' but hogwash. Ain't true, you know? Let me tell you this. The people who told you these harsh words want you to feel pain and misery. If you let yo'self drown by these, you'll make them happy. They'd be overjoyed to see our 'Ermione lis'ning to their lies. Their words are nothing but garbage. Probably, they're just envious." The man's sympathetic answer made her eyes hurt, so the tears fell horribly out of her.

"But what if, they're true? Maybe people only like me or want to stick with me because they have a selfish purpose. What if..."

"Tsk... Oh no, 'Ermione. It appears to me that these people made a great effect on you. Nonsense. Do you doubt Harry and Ron's love for you? Do you doubt the teachers' care for you? Do you doubt my solicitude to you? You can't be serious. Everyone cares about you. Never forget that. We will always be 'here whenever you need us. Do you remember when you got petrified by that monster playing along the plumbing of Hogwarts in your second year? The boys were so worried about you. They did anything to help and save you. And I know they will always will. Don't let the fishy words of others wind you up. People will always have something to say. But, what's in here... will always be the answer we seek." Hagrid pointed at his huge chest to give his final statement an emphasis, that the heart will never fail to tell us the truth we wish to find. Big drops of liquid fell from his eyes as he smiled at Hermione. He sniffed a bit and was glad to see that between Hermione's cries, a smile of contentment can be seen across her face.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will never forget about that ever again. I'm sorry." Hermione gave Hagrid a big hug as more tears leaked from her.

As she waved goodbye to Hagrid, she was no longer crying. Her face was filled with no trace of frustration but happiness and light.

The girl hummed as she returned to the castle. She hoped to see Harry and Ron and obviously wanted to apologize for suspecting that their love and concern were untrue and fake.

When the girl left the woods, two tall persons removed the spells they have cast on themselves. The disillusionment charms faded and two hooded figures divulged the familiar faces of Professor Mcgonagall and Professor Snape.

"Do you think this is appropriate, Minerva? We are not adolescents anymore. Sneaking and eavesdropping on a student's personal affairs are quite unsuitable. I can't believe I am in on this foolishness. I can't even remember why I agreed on this silliness." Snape's voice was in his usual angry tone but a dismayed-looking Mcgonagall just chuckled a bit. She tried to reduce the evident despair on her visage, so she smiled at him still.

"Oh, Severus. The girl is still upset because of the horrible words that the girl told her. We must do something to help her." Snape watched McGonagall as she blew her nose in a handkerchief for squashy tears fell from her too.

"Oh, I don't know, Minerva. Almost everyone claims that Miss Granger is an intelligent person. Well, a person who has an extraordinary brain must have a high tolerance and resistance to criticism. But then again she doesn't. If she is truly cunning, she can handle these things on her own. And I presume Hagrid's advice healed her painful ideas of not being loved. Let's not do this anymore. I can't take it." Snape rushed to leave Mcgonagall but she tried to follow him quickly. His face was dripping with sarcasm and boredom.

"Everyone claims she's clever? Of course, she's clever. She is the brightest..."

"...witch of her age. I know, I know. No need to tell me that." Snape interrupted her and the woman with spectacles snorted.

"The girl is hurting, Severus. This is serious. Her mind is clouded by evil thoughts. And even if you are the smartest person in the world, there's no escaping emotional breakdown and doubts, Severus. You of all people must know that. And I could say this event is all your fault." Minerva didn't look at him this time. She was offended by his comment earlier.

"Mine?" His eyebrows were raised which made McGonagall's temper shorter than ever.

"Yes, Severus. She wouldn't be in that situation if you were more considerate and didn't give that punishment to the fifth years. Foster would never have amassed such anger and sought revenge. Hermione wouldn't have received those nasty words. This was all your doing. And still, you perceive Hermione's problem as a joke? I can't believe you." And with that, she walked away so fast that it was almost impossible for Snape to catch up.

Snape halted for a second for he absorbed every word Professor McGonagall said. It was indeed his mistake. But even so, he believed Ms Foster didn't seek revenge just because of a punishment. She was willing to cause such agony not just to him but the entire school.
But Professor McGonagall was right about something. It was his fault why a certain Gryffindor was hurting. He even owes that person and he mistreated her. Even if he was a self-opinionated person, a little voice in his head told him that it was truly his dereliction and he admitted it to himself.