31. waiting for a girl like you

quick note - this is in jack's pov and the timeline has some changes (guys lit pls listen to the song bc it's a reference to the titleeee okay ily enjoy)

'waiting for a girl like you' by foreigner
PRESS PLAY 

IT WAS THE last month of school, may. i had been looking forward to getting out of this hell hole since the beginning of freshman year, but that was before i met yn.

i've known yn for almost 5 months now and she has been the only reason why i didn't want school to end. i knew that right after graduation my hockey career would take off, but i wanted her in it.

on december 31st, a bunch of my friends and i attended a new year's eve party that was hosted by yn's best friend, yfn. little did i know that that's where i'd meet yn for the first time.

god, she was beautiful.

she had on a shimmery gold backless halter top that drooped down like a v in the front with a white skirt that hugged her waist tightly. she had on black strap up heels and her hair was a hot mess—frizzy and very long—but she left me in awe just admiring her.

after 3 nervous breakdowns and 5 mirror checks, i finally worked up the courage to talk to her. we hit it off undoubtedly well, but then i found out she had a boyfriend. of course my blood was boiling that some other dude had her and i was physically trying so hard to hold back tears, but i knew i couldn't overstep.

so we remained as friends and eventually they broke up (yes i was excited). after she healed, we became closer and closer which leads up to this point. we're best friends now, but sometimes it feels like more. that's where everything gets all confusing. especially since i don't know how she feels.

i was in my last period when the bell rang. i quickly rushed out and made my way to yn's last period considering whenever the class ends, she walks out looking exhausted. and i always feel so bad for her so i take her arm and put it around my neck as she leans her head down on my shoulder. which is what's happening right now.

"i wanna sit in your lap." her eyes kept closing and she yawned big. "and i wanna wear your gray sweater because i'm freezing."

i smiled. "well, lucky for you i have it in my car and a blanket too. as for sitting in my lap, you know that's a guarantee."

she smiled softly. "that's why you're my favorite, jack jack."

i chuckled at first, but then grew silent as i replayed what she just said in my head.

"that's why you're my favorite..."

did she say i was her favorite just because i always do this for her? or did she say i was her favorite because maybe there's a slight possibility she likes me too?

i faked a smile as we walked over to both of our friends' lockers.

"well don't you look comfy," her friend said, raising an eyebrow.

"duh, jack's got nice arms. besides, it's never like that."

i glanced at her, then quickly at her friend in which she glanced at me too, giving me a look that said 'i know.'

i gave her a sad smile then averted my attention back to yn, who was tugging on my shirt and pressing her face against my chest.

"jackkkk, i'm cold."

"i know i know, we're going now," i said, gently rubbing her back.

"ay, we're meeting up at my house later for a little get together if you and yn wanna drop by," my friend said, then whispered, "if you know what i mean."