Chapter 123

Wu Xie was just carefully stepping down the next steps of the stairs they were still on when he could hear cursing right behind him. Jumping around to face the shadow that had stopped there – staring at the huge thing. That seemed so close that it must have almost been breathing down his neck.

His surprised stumble, made him almost lose his footing. Thank fully he didn't otherwhise they would have a different much more sevear problem, Wu Xie thought as he lisend to the voice.

"Damn, Wu Xie." It was obviously Fattys voice. And it made sense the man was supposed to be behind him after all. And, it was by far not the first time he had been intimidated by his looming shadow.

He had seen and hidden form his shadow, before he had even gotten to know the man. "Can't you go a bit faster?" Fatty complained, while Wu Xie was still standing there remembering how Qiling had chased that scary shadow away from them.

A soft smile on his lips. Wu Xie rolled his eyes. "I can't see the stairs. And I rather not slip." He stated the obvious.

"Yeah, yeah – no reason to move like a snail –", Fatty bickered. And even though he could only see a shadow, a blotch of dark, well darker inside the mist he was sure how Fatty looked right now. Both hands on his sided grinning at him and slightly leaned forward – looming over him.

A posture that could have seem threatening if it wasn't for their friendship and Wu Xie knowing that it really wasn't. Had he really slowed down, though? He hadn't even noticed.

"At least I'm not some clot, stumbling down the stairs more than actually stepping on them." Wu Xie replied without thinking too much. There was nothing there but the milky darkness of the mist they were moving though. And, hearing a voice – listening to it was actually calming.

It gave him something else – other than the rope he was holding onto to follow. It was calming in its own way. Telling his mind that he really wasn't moving alone – the few sounds coming from Qiling far in between could have been part of the natural sound of the cave they were in. There were still the snakes after all.

A hand was clumsily hitting his back – shoving him down a step while doing so. "Whoa – careful." Wu Xie said, having caught himself on the next step. Ripped from his thoughts.

A small apology sounded trough the darkness. "It makes it difficult to estimate distance.", Fatty added as he tapped his back again – more careful this time. "Let's go. –" He added, leaving his hand there on Wu Xies shoulder for a bit longer – as they moved.

Fatty now walking down the stairs next to him to his left rather than behind him where he was originally supposed to be. It fealt better having him close – tattling on about some old stories that even with Wu Xies experiences sounded more devised that not.

He didn't even listen – content just to hear the voice rather than following the story. Soon – Fattys arm must have grown numb – the hand on his shoulder disappeared but the voice didn't.