Chapter 22

Zhang had already cleaned the stone when he had found this place. So Wu Xi could already see the picture of the tiny silhouettes that had been engraved into the collapsed stone. One could make out several tiny people.

He tried to let his eyes linger on them but gave up and turned to Zhang. His eyes meeting his, then scurried away again, looking for a point that was easier to fix on.

"It's not much" Wu Xi admitted, even tough he hadn't even been able to concentrate on the matter. He had enough of an overview to know that he wouldn't be able to tell much from the little part of the picture he had in front of him. "I don't think I can get any useful information out of this."

Then he turned around again, putting one of his hands on the stone. This had always a calming effect on him. So Wu Xi felt the rough and cold stone, trying to concentrate. Taking deep breath once, twice.

He opened his eyes again, fixing the little sculptures. Only to lose the concentration once again. Wu Xi tried again, no use.

He slowly let go of the stone, staring at his hand. This had never happened before. He had always been able to concentrate on the matters he wished to, what was so different now that he couldn't?

Wu Xi closed his eyes again, trying to find the reason for this.

'Would you rest if I stayed with you?' He almost sees Zhang in front of him. His dark eyes soft with worry. Wu Xi could feel his heartbeat speeding up again.

He could feel his heartbeat under his palm, he had unconsciously pressed oh his chest. It was strong and fast. Faster than normally. Did his remark really affect him this much?

Wu Xi could tell that he was blushing again. But was comparably relaxed. Zhang couldn't see his face right now. The most he would notice is his behavior. So, Wu Xi took another deep breath, closed his eyes.

Zhang, he called upon his imagination. I need to do this right now, I can't rest, he told him, looking into those dark eyes that mesmerizes him with their gentle glow. But please stay by my side, Wu Xi asked, his eyes begging to the Zhang inside his head not to leave him. Don't worry, I will be watching over you, was the answer his head seemed to come up with.

Wu Xi eyes open again, felt calmer again, even though his heart was still beating fast. He glanced at Zhang who was still standing near him. If he had any idea that he was talking to him inside his head whenever he was scared and needed to calm down. He certainly hoped not.

Wu Xi looked back to his task at hand, this time he could concentrate. Feeling only warm like a comfortable blanket had been wrapped around him.

He could clearly see a group of figures, their faces had dissipated during the years, because of the plants and the erosion of the water. But they were clearly formed like humans. Their bodys all showing into the same direction.

Were they watching something, or moving into the same direction?

Wu Xi wasn't sure yet, he had to find whatever the silhouettes were facing in order to be able to say anything.