Chapter 24

"There are other figures like this over there." Zhang pointed out.

In the end Wu Xi examined more than five similar smaller cravings, some of them in a worse condition then the first one. All of then showing different parts of the Temple life.

Many people of different origin talking to a female, probably the same one who had held the bowl, during the rite. All of them where pictured in a bowing position, showing that there was indeed a female who had held great respect. Wu Xi had no idea what they were doing so he went on to the next one.

Some farmer that had a round thing in his hands and was flanked by a female. It looked like the female was backing the farmer up. There where many people wearing the same or similar clothing kneeling on the ground. Wu Xi thought that this was probably a more local event, there where no figures of what seemed like foreigners. He was wondering why a farmer was chosen to be carved as the same standing as the female, who had held so much respect in the other scenes. It would have made sense if someone was backing the female up, but with the positioning and size it was obviously the other way around. And why a farmer of all people? The scenes were making less and less sense to him.

The next carving was just a pattern, it was the smallest of all the carvings. The pattern wasn't even complete. But Wu Xi had an idea what it would look like if it where the complete pattern. He had the part that seemed like the middle of it and one part of the stone had no pattern at all. It was just some kind of pattern, probably just a decoration for the ceiling part, nothing too fancy, but the intertwined lines looked nice. There was no beginning an no end to the pattern. Wu Xi was ready to go on relatively fast.

The next sculptures where of a man who was holding a sword in front of a pedestal that had a round thing on it. Again a female was next to him, the same size. This time the male was wearing clothing of a higher standing but looking more like a soldier. A General may be or even a war lord? But again, it was the female that was shown as the same standing backing the male up. It seemed like a different historic event, to Wu Xi. He didn't find much out about the situation, there where people kneeling again, this time more and presumably even of different cultures, but the erosion of the kneeling people made it difficult to discern between their clothing. So, Wu Xi couldn't tell for sure.

The last one Zhang had showed him, was the most interesting.

It showed s female sitting in front of a door that seemed to lead straight into the mountain. The sculpture sitting in a meditation position. The door and the mountain, where bigger than the female. As if the mountain itself where the power that backed the female up.

And the door lead into the mountain, if they were looking for the heart of the temple this was probably their best bet. Wu Xi signed; he had hoped that they would be able to stay above the ground for once.

-x-x-x-

I won't be able to write for the next few weeks.

But the next chapter will come as soon as i finished my exams so it won't be too much of a break.