Chapter 68

After Wu Xi finally finished eating his breakfast, if one could call a dry ration cookie that, there were only two mercenaries left with them. Getting all of their gear down had been quite an endeavour after the crack wasn't wide enough for them to pass while wearing the backpacks. There were few passages where they needed to go side ways so they wouldn't scrape the stone walls.

In order to avoid later problems, Wu Xi decided to already put on his climbing gear, that he would need to get down and later up the cliff side he had been told about. Knowing himself, that it would probably end up in a more or less chaotic situation inside, with barely any light inside.

He could get tangled up in the harness, lose a carbine or even the whole thing. Wu Xi knew that he could be quite clumsy in the worst situations. And he was sure that he had better chances of getting through that crack with out much problems while already wearing the gear than getting the gear on with out any problems inside.

But even though he was already wearing everything he should be he somehow had the feeling, that he was missing something. But he couldn't really pinpoint what it was.

The whole thing made him feel unwell and even somewhat vulnerable. As the last mercenaries called that the next person was good to go and Fatty disappeared into the crack, Wu Xi decided that he couldn't do anything about that feeling.

He had already checked his equipment the third time – made sure, that every single strap was where it belonged. Everything was tight enough and he couldn't find any damaged pieces. He had his flash light and knife with him and any additional equipment was in the backpacks his should have already taken along.

He probably only felt weird because he hadn't done his normal morning routine for an expedition after he had been hurried so much.

Some minutes passed and Wu Xi could suddenly hear a loud shout out of the crack. After the initial shock, and need to get inside fast to check on his friend Wu Xi stopped, as right after the shout followed a chain of frustrated and angry cursing.

Allowing them to know very clearly, that Pang Xi had problems putting on the climbing harness. And he had found a very clear, and creative way to insult his gear. Wu Xi couldn't help but grin at some of them.

While he would never wish his friends to have problems, as long as it was just a set of confusing and twisted straps he also wouldn't feel too bad laughing about it. He would have loved to see the situation himself, but he was still outside – waiting – but he could imagine the jumble Fatty had to arrange properly before he could put the harness on.

And Wu Xi was suddenly really happy that he was already wearing his.

Looking next to himself, easily spotting Zhang close by Wu Xi could see that he too was already wearing his gear. Seeing him noticing his look immediately, Wu Xi tried to smile at him, so he wouldn't think it was odd.

He hadn't given Zhang much attention before, knowing he was close and dealt with the feeling that something was missing. Repeatedly checking his gear. Eating breakfast.

He had almost completely lost the chance of doing something. - like, he didn't know – taking probably. But now he was just staring, like the time had stopped for him, smiling like an idiot.