Chapter 21

"I found something interesting, do you want to see it?" Zhang asked Wu Xi ending the silence between them.

Relived to be liberated from this situation Wu Xi took a deep breath. He didn't need to suppress the fidgeting anymore.

Surprised at the question Wu Xi looked up again. Seeing Zhang reaching out to him. He was waiting like this if Wu Xi would take the hand he offered. Wu Xi was hesitating to take it. He would have loved to take his hand and follow him like this. Hand in hand.

But Wu Xi knew that that it would mean so much more to him, than it meant to Zhang. He was already way to nervous, and his hand already felt warm. When he would take Zhangs hand, it would probably be sweaty. So, he would rather avoid this situation.

Wu Xi took a deep breath and clenched his hands, gripping his sleeves.

"I – uh, will just follow you." He mumbled, staring into the dirt and pebbles underneath his feet.

"Hmm" was all the answer Wu Xi got. It was still more then he had expected. Thinking Zhang would just turn to lead the way.

Climbing over the first few stones Zhang stopped, waiting for Wu Xi to also make his way. When Wu Xi reached his position only then did he move again for the next bit. It was like this the whole way, Zhang would stop every few meters turn, and watch Wu Xi making his way.

Wu Xi couldn't look up anymore, knowing that Zhang would stare back at him. Knowing that he was still red, knowing how much faster than normal his heart was still beating.

So Wu Xi keept staring at the ground, concentrating on the stones he had to climb up and down. Occupying his mind like this meant distracting it from Zhang. And it came with another advantage – it kept him from stumbling all over the place and slipping of the stones.

Sometimes Wu Xi had to use his hands to grab onto some edges of the stones so he wouldn't slip and other times he had to do it in order to climb the boulders – to pull himself up.

Like this Wu Xi managed to follow Zhang without a single slip or other accident. Which he believed to be quite the feat considering his current condition. He could feel that his muscles were about to protest from over strain.

Then Zhang stopped moving. Wu Xi couldn't believe that he had lost his way, so he just patiently waited for Zhang to lead again. He didn't dare look up, afraid to keep staring at Zhang.

"We're here."

Zhang told him. Making Wu Xi scan their vicinity, still avoiding to look directly at him. Right next to Zhang he noticed different small sculptures engraved into one of the collapsed stones. With such a small part of the puzzle Wu Xi probably wouldn't be able to do much, but he would try to find out as much as possible anyway.

Already excited to have something he could work with Wu Xi stepped to the stone and sat down right in front of it. Like this it would be easier to see. Then he started.