Chapter 87

Truly a flying snake was coming right at him. How can that be even possible?

It looked like nothing he had ever seen before. Why would that thing even live down here? If it could fly like that shouldn't it live in the trees or something.

It was like time had stopped for a moment. The snake with all its greyish greens fixed in mid-air, flattened, looking more like a ribbon than an animal. It was more than three times its width compared to before.

The only thing Wu Xie knew for sure at this moment was, that he had to keep that snake away from himself.

When he jumped to the side it just weaved its body slightly, immediately adjusting its path following him.

Wu Xie knew, he had to keep his scraped hands away from it. Venom could enter even through the tiniest wounds. There was no time to pull his knife and he had no staff at hand. So, he had to use the only thing he had at hand – his flash light.

With that in hand, he made himself ready to bat the snaky away. Hitting it out of the air, stunning it with the impact, turn and run. That was the only kind of plan he could do without thinking. With no time to think.

The moved the flashlight, now seeing only a black streak flying at him. Using it like he would a baseball bat hitting the snake instead of a ball. He didn't even look where the snake was hit where it fell.

As soon as he felt that he had hit something he turned and ran. Pushing through the hidden door and away, just away from it.

He could find his way again later. Running into the denser mist, only slowing down when he was about to collide with a wall, the curves and corners weren't easy to take without proper vision and at that speed.

At least he understood now what that glyphs had meant.

He had translated it as a winged snake – told others it was dragon like. Who would have though, expected really that they had meant a flying snake. He had misinterpreted the glyphs that had described it.

But with every kind of snake even his grandfather had described in his notebook, he had never seen even a footnote about a flying snake in an underground place. It just didn't make any sense, not underneath the earth.

But who was he to tell, he only wanted to get away right now. Find safety, his friends – he would even be fine with his uncle or Pan Zi at the moment.

He hated snakes. The hissing could always make him shudder, some of them rattling. Hiding everywhere only waiting to kill you. Deceptively small easy to miss.

He only hoped he could get away from that thing as fast and far as possible, even the mercenaries were preferable at the moment.

Just at the moment when he thought that, taking a corner –

Crashing straight into a man who had been behind it. He was taller, stronger than him when he tried to pull away – go somewhere else. Just about to cry out when he heard a sharp "Quiet". Plugging the scream behind his throat.