chapter 59: Sudden Fame

Magistrate Wang was eager to achieve one last accomplishment before his transfer. The case was handled swiftly, and that very night, he sent men to the Ji residence to bring Madam Ji back to the yamen. The next day, a retrial was conducted, and the case file was reopened.

As a “victim” in the case, Lin Ze naturally had to be present. Wei Yunying could not avoid appearing either; everyone involved had to be there.

The next day, even more people from the town came to watch than the day before. In addition to the gossip circulating among the townspeople, Lin Ze’s efforts played a role as well.

Previously, the money he had He Xiangfeng spend was not spent in vain. When more than a dozen beggars and wanderers returned to Nanyang Town, they announced the proceedings of the trial in the county seat, making everyone in Nanyang Town aware. Wei Hongjue had no time to cover up the situation.

A scholar had been wronged for many years, implicated in a calamity caused by a woman’s jealousy?

The esteemed Master Wei, known for his virtue and prestige, had mistreated the servants in his home, leading to retaliation?

Sighs!

The entire case was not particularly unique, but the characters involved provided juicy and gossip-worthy material. Qingshan County had not seen such a sensational trial in a long time, so the next day, even the idle townspeople came out to watch the retrial.

Because the facts had already been clarified yesterday, today’s trial of Madam Ji was simple. After recording her statement and writing the case file, Madam Ji did not struggle and quickly confessed. The process was very fast.

Although she was convicted, Madam Ji’s face showed no sadness, only satisfaction, as she laughed wildly at the desperate Ji.

“Ji Yunfeng, even if I’m imprisoned, you won’t have it easy. Back then, I endured hardships with you, but once you became successful, you looked down on me for not bearing you a son. Hah! Your study of the classics was in vain. I must have been blind to marry someone like you. You won’t end well. Hahaha, I can’t wait to see…”

“And you, Master Wei, everyone says you’re virtuous and respectable, but I think you’re just full of hot air. You wanted to marry your daughter to my husband to become a son-in-law of an official. You’re dreaming. Wei Yunying, you shameless little slut, seducing my husband before you even got married, you deserve this! It’s too good for you to marry your current husband!”

Madam Ji laughed wildly and admitted her guilt.

Wei Hongjue and his daughter should have been happy to find the real culprit and vent their anger. However, they felt no joy because of the humiliating words spoken by Madam Ji, similar to those of Liu Youtian.

While marrying a widow was not uncommon, and it was quite normal, Madam Ji’s words solidified the Wei family’s reputation for climbing the social ladder. After all, Ji Yunfeng was indeed much older than Wei Yunying.

Especially married women looked at the Wei family with disdain and hostility.

It was normal for men to have multiple wives and concubines, but how many women were willing to share their husbands with others? Madam Ji suffered for many years before finally getting a good life. Wei Yunying, on the other hand, wanted to reap the benefits of being a lady just because she was young and beautiful. It was truly shameless!

On the second day of the retrial, Lin Ze watched the whole drama unfold.

After this case, the reputation that the Wei family had accumulated over the years was completely ruined, and from then on, the title of Master Wei became a joke in Nanyang Town.