chapter 13: The curtain falls

With the support of Lin Sangui, the head of the family, and the approval of the village elders, the division of the property went smoothly, and the ties were also severed clearly.

The whole incident was truly a dramatic rollercoaster, revealing so many hidden secrets of the Lin family that were lamentable.

Chen Shuju and her son had no room for refutation in the final outcome. There was no reason to argue further. If they continued to cause trouble, they would end up with nothing.

Lin Jianwen’s expression finally could not hide his displeasure. He cared more about the villagers’ opinion than the money he had lost. Scholars value their reputation the most, and Lin Ze had managed to tarnish the image he had painstakingly built with just a few words.

Although it was not explicitly stated what he had done, any sensible person could guess his involvement.

As for Xue Liang and his wife, who initially sought trouble and claimed to be innocent, no one would believe a word that came out of their mouths.

This couple had always been regarded as second-rate in the village, and now they were willing to joke about their own integrity for the sake of money. From now on, the villagers would never trust a word from the Xue family again.

Originally, Li Laofu wanted to drive these two troublemakers out of the village, but due to the pleading of Xue’s wife, he came up with an alternative method.

First, Xue Liang and his wife were scolded and punished physically. They were forced to apologize, and then all the benefits they received from Chen Shuju were relinquished. In addition, they had to compensate Lin Ze with two taels of silver as extortion fees. Finally, they were sentenced to two more months of hard labor in the village’s communal mill as a form of punishment.

If Xue Liang and his wife were to commit such absurd acts again in the future, no leniency would be shown. They would be immediately expelled from the village.

Xue Liang turned out to be a coward who did not dare to speak up. He covered his buttocks, cried, bowed and nodded repeatedly, and assured everyone that he would not dare to do it again. Then he slinked back home with a dejected look on his face.

With that, this tumultuous drama finally came to an end, and the villagers who had been spectating went home to have breakfast.

No matter how big the world’s troubles were, when one was hungry, the biggest concern was satisfying the stomach. Despite all the commotion in the Lin family, people still needed to eat. Luckily, the steamed buns that had been steaming were ready. Even though the atmosphere was gloomy, they still had to fill their stomachs.

Lin Ze did not sit at the table. He took a bowl, filled it with steamed buns and vegetable porridge, and carried it back to his room to find his wife.

Chen Shuju clenched her teeth in anger. That vegetable porridge was specifically made with green vegetables and high-quality rice for her son. It was seasoned with salt and oil, and it smelled delicious. Yet, Lin Ze took it away just like that.

“What are you looking at? If it weren’t for the trouble caused by your family, things wouldn’t have turned out like this. Previously, our eldest son treated you well, but it was all your own doing! Eat your meal. Afterward, bring out the silver from the house. I’ll divide it and send some to our eldest son.”

Lin Sanguí glared at Chen Shuju, observing her resentful and unwilling expression. He slammed the table heavily and yelled in anger.

Before, he had always been lenient with this woman for the sake of their child. But now, he could not help but hate her when he looked at her.