chapter 49: Wei Yunying

“My husband is not a shameless man!”

For Zhang Xiu, the most important person in his heart used to be his mother, but now Lin Ze had to be added.

Although they have not been together for a long time, their emotions collided very quickly. Zhang Xiu had never been in love before, and Lin Ze was the first person he had liked, making him his first love.

First love was the most unforgettable and emotionally intense. Lin Ze was a gentle and affectionate person. It was not surprising that Zhang Xiu, who was so simple in matters of the heart, would like, and even love Lin Ze in such a short time.

Everyone was sensitive about their emotions. Wei Yunying started insulting as soon as she opened her mouth, and Zhang Xiu could not help but lose his temper even though he had a good temper.

“Lin Ze is just a shameless rascal! A rogue!”

Similarly, Wei Yunying was also filled with anger.

Wei Yunying was originally a spoiled little lady with a bad temper. Influenced by Wei Hongjue since childhood, she always thought that even if she could not marry a high-ranking official, she should at least marry a Juren, and low level scholars like Xiucai did not enter her eyes at all.

But how could there be any big shots in a small place like Nanyang Town? The highest-ranking official there was just a county magistrate, a sixty-year-old man who naturally could not be considered. So, the Juren student taught by Wei Hongjue before became the only target locked in by Wei Yunying and her father.

Although that Juren student was also forty years old and already married, a man in his forties was still in his prime. His wife was just a girl from the village. With the Wei family’s background and Wei Yunying’s beauty and age, she thought she would definitely be favored if she married him, with no problem at all. Even if she became a concubine, it would not matter; being the wife of a Juren was quite prestigious.

But she never expected things to take a turn later on. Due to a drunken mistake by “Lin Ze,” things went awry, and she ended up having to marry her current husband.

Even though her current husband was young, had a good temper, and was on his way to becoming a Juren, his family was in business, and it was difficult to advance as a scholar. There were countless scholars who spent their whole lives as mere scholars*. Wei Yunying could not help but feel aggrieved that she married beneath her station, and she has always held a grudge about it.

*with no title or just a Xiucai.

Earlier, she just looked down on Zhang Xiu for being a country bumpkin, but now that she knew he was Lin Ze’s husband, the new and old grievances erupted together.

“Heh, you’re so worked up defending Lin Ze. I suppose you still don’t know who I am, do you?”

Seeing Zhang Xiu’s expression of defense, Wei Yunying felt both angry and amused, as well as a bit resentful.

“I’ll tell you, my name is Wei Yunying. Do you, as Lin Ze’s husband, not know about the incident where he was kicked out of the private school? That bastard got drunk and barged into my room! If he’s not a shameless man, then what is he?!”

As the words fell, Zhang Xiu was stunned, not expecting such a twist of fate.

However, the expressions of the wives and husbands present, as well as those hidden behind the screen, were all difficult to describe. They thought to themselves that Wei Yunying must be a fool. To say such things in front of everyone, did she not care about her reputation?!

In ancient times, women were strictly controlled, and even if there were reasons behind a stranger entering a lady’s chamber, it was not something to be publicized. If it were taken seriously, she could have been sent to a convent*. Even if the woman herself was not at fault, the times were cruel.