chapter 29: The mother-in-law visits the home

Zhang Liumei, due to her poor health, spent most of her time at home for recuperation, and she only occasionally heard about the events happening in the village, so she was not well-informed.

After the Lin family split, she also heard about the situation, but she did not really see it for herself.

She had wanted to visit Zhang Xiu early on, but she did not have the courage to do so. In the past, “Lin Ze” did not like her meeting her son, fearing that she might say something inappropriate to Zhang Yinzhu when she went back.

Whenever she used to visit, Zhang Xiu would inevitably get beaten up that same evening, so over time, she did not dare to go anymore. Even if she wanted to see her son, she would do so secretly and discreetly.

So this time was no different. Zhang Liumei waited for several days to find an opportunity and came to the Lin family while Lin Ze was away.

These past few days, she had been so anxious that her mouth had developed blisters. Before, it was very easy to find Zhang Xiu alone, as the previous “Lin Ze” did not care about Zhang Xiu’s whereabouts at all.

But now, everything was different. The current Lin Ze’s mind was filled with Zhang Xiu, and he almost wished to spend twenty-four hours a day glued to his wife.

They went out together in the morning to sell bread, came back home in the afternoon to study together, and in the evening, they worked together before going to sleep – they were practically inseparable.

So, Zhang Liumei had been patiently waiting for several days to spot the opportunity when Lin Ze took Lin Sangui, who was living with them for half a month, back to his house, leaving Zhang Xiu alone at home.

When Zhang Liumei arrived at the door, she was filled with worry. At that moment, Zhang Xiu was inside the house, familiarizing himself with the phonetics Lin Ze had been teaching him.

In recent times, besides earning money by selling bread, the most interesting and enthusiastic thing for Zhang Xiu was learning phonetics. Lin Ze said that once he masters phonetics, he would not need further instruction and would be able to read unfamiliar characters on his own.

When it came to learning the meanings of those characters, it became much easier, making Zhang Xiu even more skilled than the students in private schools.

Zhang Xiu was not aiming to surpass the private school students; all he hoped for was to quickly learn how to read and recognize characters. This way, in the future, when others mocked Lin Ze for marrying a Xiao Ger, he could save face for his husband.

Being able to read characters, he would not be different from girls from ordinary families; knowledge was highly valued in this era.

Yes, his husband. Although Zhang Xiu teased Lin Ze by saying he still needed to test him, in his heart, he already considered Lin Ze as the man he wanted to spend the rest of his life with.

During this time, Lin Ze has been paying attention to every detail about him, and his caring gestures were genuine and could not be faked.

From the bottom of his heart, Lin Ze truly liked him. He was not saying this to flatter himself. Whenever Zhang Xiu thought about this, it filled his heart with indescribable sweetness.

Before, there were boys in the village who showed interest in him, privately trying to court him to marry him. After all, Zhang Xiu was considered good-looking, and in terms of appearance, he was quite attractive in the village.

Back then, he felt happy knowing that someone liked him, but it did not bring the same sweetness he felt with Lin Ze.

Those boys who said they liked him were mostly drawn to him because of his appearance and because he could work on the farm. They were thinking of marrying someone who could keep them warm in bed and help with the farming.