chapter 34: Li Guangcai Seeks a Teacher

“What? Ask to have Mr. Lin Ze as a private tutor?”

Before Lin Ze could even react, the villagers around him expressed their astonishment, each showing incredulous expressions.

In fact, it was not uncommon for someone to request Lin Ze to tutor their children. After all, he held the title of a scholar in the county government. At the age of twelve, he had achieved fame as a “genius of Qingshan County” by passing the challenging exam.

Unfortunately, later on, he suffered from exam anxiety and his future prospects became bleak, causing him to fade from the public eye.

Nevertheless, despite all that, Lin Ze’s true talent and knowledge were undeniable. Some local gentry and wealthy families came to ask him to be a tutor for their children, but he refused all of them, as he was solely focused on continuing his studies and taking exams.

Over time, rumors began to spread, claiming that Lin Ze was haughty, arrogant, and considered himself superior due to his academic achievements, among other unflattering things.

After the incident of Lin Ze drunkenly intruding into his own teacher’s daughter’s chamber, nearly tarnishing the girl’s innocence and reputation, Lin Ze’s reputation in the town completely plummeted. No one wanted to hire him as a tutor anymore.

In the literary world of the Da Ji dynasty, scholars were divided into different schools of thought, and the importance of mentorship and the teacher’s reputation and character had a significant impact on the future prospects of their students.

Take Master Wei, the teacher at Dongguo Private Academy in the town, who was the original owner’s former teacher. In Lin Ze’s view, the man’s knowledge was barely sufficient, and passing the scholar exam seemed more like a result of incredible luck.

However, because Master Wei had previously been pursued by others for his reputation as a knowledgeable scholar in Qingshan County, and after passing the scholar exam, he wisely decided not to continue the official path. Instead, he opened a private academy under the pretext of “aspiring to educate and spread knowledge,” attracting many people to become his students.

Later, with a stroke of luck, one of his students achieved the title of Juren (province level exam, 2nd title of 3), which further solidified Master Wei’s respected reputation.

In this era, being a teacher was undoubtedly a prestigious and financially rewarding job. Lin Ze had also considered it, but unfortunately, the original owner’s foundation was too weak, and that path was simply not feasible for him. Therefore, he had no choice but to engage in business to earn a living.

So, at this moment, when Li Guangcai appeared with his son, seeking to become Lin Ze’s student, Lin Ze felt the same incredulity as the villagers around him.

“Are you saying… you want to hire me as a tutor for your son? Are you sure it’s me?”

Lin Ze looked at the plump person in front of him, feeling uncertain, and emphasized the last sentence.

The surrounding villagers also wanted to ask the same question, including Lin Sanguo. It was evident how bad Lin Ze’s reputation had spread far and wide in the surrounding areas. It might not have affected him to the extent of losing his scholarly title and qualifications for the imperial examination, but it had certainly deterred people from associating with him.

“Yes, that’s right, we would like to invite you, Mr. Lin, to be our tutor. Sheng’er, come and greet the teacher.”

Li Guangcai was particularly delighted, nodding enthusiastically, as if he had expected Lin Ze’s reaction and was not surprised at all.