chapter 43: Finding Employees

Because they spent the whole day dealing with the matter of Lin Jianwen and his mother buying exam questions, Lin Ze and his wife returned home when it was already completely dark.

They still had to open their stall tomorrow, so they could not slack off at all. They worked by candlelight until the moon was high in the sky before finally feeling exhausted and resting.

Despite being tired, the couple found comfort and sweetness in their world together by the candlelight. The embrace they shared while falling asleep was the best consolation. Holding his wife as they slept made Lin Ze happier than any treasure.

Zhang Xiu obediently nestled against his chest, his smile even sweeter. He especially liked rubbing his head against Lin Ze’s chest, like a little kitten.

Due to thinking about the matter of the sugar beets, Lin Ze went to sell bread in town alone for the next few days. Zhang Xiu went to discuss the purchase of the sugar beets with Zhang Liumei and to ask He Xiangfeng and his husband for help in making sugar. They simply did not have enough people to help.

Although the next imperial examination was three years away, time passed quickly. With only half a day for revision and reading every day, time was already tight. Lin Ze, despite his confidence, dared not be complacent and think that being a transmigrator made him superior and that he could easily pass the exam.

So, he could not let earning money delay his revision and reading. Unless it was something urgent, he had to read every afternoon without fail.

He thought that he could earn money in the future, but the imperial examination must not be delayed. This was also why he suddenly came up with the idea of opening a “Tongsheng Crash Course” private school. The goal was simple and vulgar—to make money more easily.

In the future, Zhang Xiu would manage the dessert shop, and he would manage the private school. With money flowing in and a noble reputation, the couple would work together and benefit greatly!

These days, besides selling bread in town, Lin Ze would almost always “accidentally encounter” constables, gatekeepers, and other miscellaneous workers from the yamen at lunchtime. He would then find an excuse to invite them to have a meal and subtly extract information from them.

The best way was actually to directly inquire the servants of the county magistrate’s office, but since the county magistrate’s office was not in their town, Lin Ze could only make do with the officials in the town’s yamen.

After his efforts and the distribution of seven or eight “Love Only Him” cards, he finally got reliable information… The county magistrate Wang was going to be transferred to a new position ahead of schedule.

This relieved Lin Ze. He wondered why the county magistrate of Qingshan County had not heard of any foolishness. How could his own brother-in-law, under his banner, do such a big thing as selling exam questions without his knowledge? Now he understood.

There was no doubt that Zhu Hongchang’s exam questions were probably fake. He estimated that surname Zhu wanted to take advantage of his position before leaving to intimidate those students with ill intentions who wanted to take the wrong path.

Since the exam questions were fake and would not cause any trouble with the authorities, and the students who were deceived would not dare to speak out, the money was basically earned for nothing.

County Magistrate Wang saw that this did not threaten him. After his transfer, he would not be coming back, so out of consideration for the beautiful concubine, he naturally acquiesced to his brother-in-law’s actions.

With this settled, Lin Sangui had already been warned, so Lin Ze could rest assured. If Lin Jianwen could still find money to be deceived on his own, then it would be his own fault, and Lin Ze was happy to watch the show.