chapter 53: Sue in a Big Way

On the second day after returning from the Guo Residence, Lin Ze spent the whole day at home pondering the contents of his petition and the expected situation.

Meanwhile, Zhang Xiu and the others, who were busy outside, also lived up to expectations. They helped to gather a large group of villagers, which was a crucial boost for this lawsuit.

Lin Ze was very pleased that his judgment was not wrong.

Although Ah Xiu was usually quiet and obedient, appearing as harmless as a little white rabbit, he was absolutely decisive when it came to doing things.

The conditions he offered for help were attractive, but they could not withstand the fact that his reputation was so bad before. Apart from cases like Li Guangcai begging him to be a teacher, most families would hire others instead of him, and others might not even do it, for fear that the child’s choice of teacher might be wrong and their reputation might be tarnished by following the wrong teacher.

But Zhang Xiu had a good image in the village. If it were not for Zhang’s family replacing him to fulfill the marriage contract with Lin’s family, many families in the surrounding villages would have wanted to marry him.

Therefore, with Zhang Xiu’s efforts to persuade and request, coupled with the fact that they heard Lin Ze was going to the yamen* to sue for “reversal of the case” and clear the stigma of these years, after considering it, the villagers agreed to go along to help as witnesses.

*local government office

After all, being a witness was no problem, but whether they would intercede depended on the situation of the lawsuit when they went to the yamen.

In addition, there was also Zheng Xiaoluo nearby. One must not be fooled by this little guy’s silly appearance; silly people have silly luck, and it was precisely this kind of image that makes people less guarded.

With the efforts of these two young men, most of the people from the villages around the Heba Village agreed.

The main problem lay with the people from the Heba village itself.

It was not that the villagers of the Heba village were heartless, but the matter of Lin Ze overturning the case involved Lin Jianwen. Since its existence, the Heba village had never produced any notable figures. The clan now relied on Lin Jianwen. If Lin Ze really sued Lin Jianwen, the result could be imagined.

More importantly, if the news of brothers suing each other spreaded, how would others view the principles of the Heba village in the future?

So when they heard the news, the village chief Li Laofu, several elders from the clan, and Lin Sangui were all in a hurry to come, with the purpose of persuading Lin Ze to give up on overturning the case and consider the greater good.

They also secretly wondered, didn’t Lin Ze let go of the past when he divided the family last time? Why was he thinking of bringing it up now and even going to the yamen to sue?

“Village Chief, I also didn’t want to bring up the past and tarnish the village’s reputation, but this time I have no choice but to do so.”

Lin Ze remained calm and played the victim, saying, “The events of that year didn’t just affect me; they also involved Master Wei’s daughter. Miss Wei’s marriage was affected, and now that she wants to pursue me, I can only cooperate. Otherwise, she will go to the yamen to sue me, and then I won’t be able to explain myself…”

“As for my second brother, it’s karma. I let him go once, but I can’t do the same for other offenses.”

The last sentence was clearly a firm stance, indicating no room for negotiation.