chapter 15: Luo Ger persuades

The cheerful and enthusiastic greetings from Lin Ze almost startled Zheng Xiaoluo and He Xiangfeng.

Before the drastic change in personality, the previous "Lin Ze" was polite and well-mannered, but deep down, he carried the inherent arrogance of educated individuals of that era. He was not close to the villagers and had a somewhat indifferent attitude when meeting them.

After the drastic change in personality, the original person became even more aloof. Throughout the year, he rarely left the house except to see Zhang Yinzhu. He had a somewhat irritable and melancholic temperament, and he had never been seen with a smile on his face.

Lin Ze's current enthusiasm was really overwhelming, and it made people feel uneasy, especially since Zheng Xiaoluo had just spoken ill of him behind his back. It was natural to feel guilty.

"Ba, ba, bad to meet you..."

Zheng Xiaoluo stammered, hiding behind He Xiangfeng. Although he disliked Lin Ze, one could not easily offend a scholar like him if they were ordinary people.

Moreover, he learned from Zhang Xiu that this sour scholar was capable of violence. It would be strange if he did not feel scared and stuttered now that he had offended him.

In the end, it was He Xiangfeng who remained relatively calm. He stepped forward to apologize to Lin Ze, protecting Zheng Xiaoluo.

"Apologies, Lin Xiucai (who passed the xiucai/county-level exam). Luo Ger spoke without thinking just now. We came to help Xiu Ger clean the house..."

One should not bite the hand that feeds oneself. When someone approached with sincerity and willingly offered help, there was no reason to refuse or get angry.

Furthermore, with all these big and small packages, carrying so many gifts, it indicated a good relationship. It would be foolish not to socialize properly with such people. It seemed that 'Lin Ze' had some brains after all.

The previous 'Lin Ze' was a jerk to begin with, and it was not like he was being insulted directly. Lin Ze naturally would not get angry. Moreover, this person was his wife's "best friend." One should never offend a close friend, or else one remark of "slander" reaching his wife's ears would make one cry.

"It's alright, I used to be quite reckless and deserved to be scolded. Ah Xiu was fortunate to have your help and care in the past. Let's not dwell on the past. From now on, I will make an effort to take care of him."

Lin Ze smiled, displaying great generosity.

"Since you all have come, I won't be polite. However, there aren't many rooms in the house that need cleaning. How about this, Brother He, you come with me, and Luo Ger and Ah Xiu can go outside and have some fun. You haven't seen each other for a long time, and I'm sure you have things to talk about."

"You, you, you really want Xiu Ger to go out and play with me? Not working?"

Zheng Xiaoluo felt somewhat incredulous and uncertain about his behavior.

When did Lin Ze start treating Xiu Ger so well? Wasn't he always saying that Xiu Ger was just brought home to do chores? Could it be that Lin Ze had really changed?

By the way, Xiu Ger called Lin Ze "husband" just now. Did he miss something during the past few days?

"Of course it's true. Ah Xiu isn't feeling well today, so when you take him out, remember not to play in the water or go to the hills."

He showed genuine concern without any disguise.

This time, not to mention Zheng Xiaoluo, even the composed He Xiangfeng could not help but look at Lin Ze in surprise. This bitter scholar seemed down-to-earth and no longer cynical today.