chapter 50: Then sue the official

Zhang Xiu widened his eyes in surprise, looking vividly shocked. What Lin Ze liked most was teasing his wife until he was utterly bewildered, which was especially amusing.

He walked straight over, disregarding the people around them, and pinched his cheek playfully. After all, they were a married couple.

“You never stand up for yourself when others bully you. Why bother with so many rules? I can’t bear to see my husband being wronged. I, Lin Ze, have already lost my reputation, so what’s there to fear anymore…”

Being pinched on the face by his man and scolded, showing affection publicly, Zhang Xiu blushed furiously, feeling both sweet and embarrassed.

Although he was used to Lin Ze’s frivolous behavior and disregard for societal norms, displaying their affection in public made him particularly embarrassed. After all, Zhang Xiu was a proper ancient Ger, inherently reserved.

Feeling the eyes around them, Zhang Xiu felt so embarrassed he wanted to crawl into a hole.

Luckily, after Lin Ze finished laughing, he did not continue. There was still a mess left behind by the original body, and Lin Ze did not want to be implicated any further. Since Wei Yunying was unwilling to let go of her grudge, he could use this opportunity to turn things around.

“Mrs. Wei, Lin Ze regrets deeply for tarnishing your reputation when he drunkenly stumbled into your chambers years ago. He has felt guilty all these years, enduring the scorn and affecting his family. Since Mrs. Wei cannot let go of this matter and wishes to seek justice from the authorities, Lin Ze would like to accompany you. He also has many questions about what happened back then…”

*they speak in 3rd person, which is a more formal way to speak.

Lin Ze’s tone was calm but filled with a decisive air that brooked no questioning, nor did it show any hint of guilt.

His upright posture and composed demeanor were vastly different from his previous arrogant and flamboyant scholar-like appearance, earning him the admiration of onlookers.

However, Wei Hongjue knew that his daughter was in trouble as soon as he heard these words.

Although he had always resented Lin Ze for causing trouble, he also knew that the biggest mistake lay with them. It was the negligence of the servants in the Wei family mansion that led to the incident. If they had guarded the rear courtyard properly, guests would not have been able to enter the rear courtyard.

While Lin Ze was also at fault, his responsibility was not so great as to lead to the current situation.

The reason Lin Ze was in such a sorry state now was because everyone spoke up for him out of respect for his status as a scholar. Lin Ze, out of respect for his teacher, did not refute anything and took all the blame upon himself.

Otherwise, his daughter would not only have to marry beneath her station, but she might also be sent to a nunnery to become a nun to preserve the family’s honor!

Now that Lin Ze was stirred to seek justice and overturn the case, the ones who would be most affected were the Wei family.

Unfortunately, Wei Yunying was too young, wilful, and inexperienced. She only felt aggrieved that she had not become the wife of a successful candidate in the imperial examinations. She was unwilling to let Lin Ze off easily, unable to consider things as thoroughly as the elders.

“Alright, we’ll go to the county office immediately! Yuhong, prepare the sedan chair,” Wei Yunying ordered angrily to her maidservant.

Although Nanyang Town was not close to the county seat, it was only about two hours’ walk. If they took a cart, it would only take an hour.