Chapter 34

I teared up, my vision blurring as Leo's words sunk in. My heart felt heavy with apprehension as I delicately patted his arm away, trying to compose myself. The lump in my throat made it difficult to speak.

"I've got to go", I managed to say, "It was good to see you".

"Why did you call me that night?" he questioned, his eyes searching mine.

I hesitated, not wanting to revisit the emotions I had buried deep inside.

"What?" I replied, looking away.

"Why did you call me? There must have been a reason", he pressed on. "And I don't mean Beau, because you called me before he knocked on".

"I don't know", I said dismissively, hoping to change the subject.

But he moved closer to me, his presence overwhelming. "Why did you call me Bella?" he asked, his voice soft and vulnerable.

I couldn't hold back any longer. "Because there was no one else in the world that I wanted to speak to, to be with in that moment", I admitted.

"And now?" he brushed a stray lock of hair from my face, his touch lingering.

I reached out and cupped his face in my hands. "I still feel the same", I whispered.

Without hesitation, he closed the gap between us, and our lips met in a passionate embrace. I was hesitant but then I melted into the moment, returning the kiss with equal intensity. The warmth of his breath against my skin sending electric currents through my body.

As we pulled away, uncertainty crept in. "Are you sure about this?" I asked, my voice tinged with worry. "You've been blowing hot and cold with me. I don't want to get hurt. It's taken me 28 years to figure out what I am willing and not willing to put up with".

Leo took my hand in his and looked at me earnestly. "I am sure. I have never been surer about anything in my life", he said sincerely. "I want to be with you, for the long haul. I want to build a future with you, create memories together, and explore the world by your side".

My heart was pounding as I listened to his words, but as much as I wanted to give in to his declaration, I knew I had to do this on my own. The weight of responsibility pressed down on my shoulders and I felt awful for causing Leo any pain.

"A part of me wants that too, a really big part", I confessed. "But I can't, Leo".

As I uttered those words, a war waged within me. I could feel the weight of guilt crushing me as I spoke, knowing that my decision would disappoint someone I cared about deeply. "I've spent too much time doing things or putting up with things just to please others, neglecting my own happiness in the process. This is something I need to do for myself".

I lowered my head and slumped my shoulders, "I'm sorry".

"Don't apologise", he said softly, cupping my face in his hands. "I get it", he said, his voice understanding. "You have to put yourself first. I can't help but feel foolish; maybe if I had been honest with myself, things would have turned out differently".

His words were bittersweet, tinged with sadness at the thought of our potential future together slipping away.

He turned away and started walking away. I watched him go, feeling torn between what I wanted and what I needed to do. Just as he was about to disappear from view, I called out to him.

"Hey", I said, my voice cracking slightly. "Maybe I'll add Italy to my list and if you happen to be there too, it would be wonderful if we could meet up?"

Leo stopped in his tracks and turned back towards me with a renewed sense of hope shining in his eyes. He walked back over to me and reached up to caress my cheek. "It's a date", he said with a small smile.

"We could explore the cobbled streets of Rome, sip wine in Tuscany, and watch the sunrise over the Amalfi Coast", I said dreamily.

Leo's lips curved into a gentle smile as he kissed my forehead. "Wherever you want to go", he said softly.

Unbeknownst to us, Sage had been watching from a distance with a knowing smile on her face. As she observed our exchange, she felt satisfied with the outcome. With a nod of approval, she turned and walked away, leaving us to contemplate the possibilities that lay ahead of us.