Chapter 23

Before I realised it, Friday had arrived. In the morning, I went to my mum's to borrow one of her suits, aiming to look professional despite not feeling entirely so. I was to meet Grace and my grandmother there; I felt a bit anxious as I hadn't spoken or seen my grandma since our last phone call ended abruptly.

Stepping out of the car, I noticed Grace about to knock on the door.

"Hey", I greeted, closing the car door behind me.

"Hey, I'm nervous. I have a bad feeling", she confessed.

Before I could reply, the door swung open, and my grandma welcomed Grace with a warm smile, which wavered upon seeing me.

"You both should come in", she suggested, moving aside.

Inside, I embraced my mum, who then ushered us into the kitchen where she had prepared coffee and snacks.

Observing the table laden with a variety of savoury treats and sweets, I quipped, "This is quite the spread for a meeting".

"I'm just fuelling my girls for the day", she replied with a radiant smile.

As I eyed a grilled chicken sandwich, my grandma gently pulled at my arm.

"May I have a word?" she asked.

"Of course", I responded, following her to the conservatory.

Expecting her to sit opposite me, I was surprised when she chose the seat beside me.

"Please, don't speak. Let me say what I need to first. You were right", she began.

I was stunned; such an admission was rare from her.

"The pressure I placed on you was unfair. The business had been struggling long before you took over, and it's unreasonable to expect you to overcome the challenges we face here in Whistlebury alone", she admitted.

Moved, I replied, "Thank you, I appreciate it, and I apologise for hanging up on you. I think we need to try to understand each other a little better".

"I agree. Now, let's enjoy the food before we leave", she said.

We indulged in the feast, conversing and laughing as if there wasn't a significant meeting ahead. I drank the last of my coffee as we headed for the car making sure I had no food stains anywhere. My mum let me borrow her pristine navy suit and I had to admit I looked CEO good.

Albion House, I mused, the epitome of drabness.

Nevaeh was at the reception to welcome us, her pink bubble gum bursting against her plump lips.

"Can I help you?" she inquired; her voice muffled as she resumed her gum chewing.

"How utterly unprofessional", my grandma commented, her face twisted in disapproval.

Nevaeh, opting to disregard the remark, asked, "De Luca meeting, correct?"

We confirmed with a collective nod.

"Fourth floor, room six", she directed, offering one of her insincere smiles before turning her attention back to her previous task.

As we moved towards the elevator, thoughts of Leo running for the lift invaded my mind, coaxing a giggle from me, leaving Grace and my grandmother bewildered.

"Alright, girls, these are for luck and prosperity", my grandma announced, fishing out two stones from her pockets. She handed me a striking Tiger's Eye and Grace a vivid Green Aventurine.

Grandma entered the room first, its sombre ambiance mirroring my tense mood. Vincent presided over the unnecessarily long table, designed for twelve but hosting only half that number. Leo sat to his right, their presumed solicitor to his left.

"Please, ladies, take a seat", he invited, motioning to the array of empty chairs.

Leo offered a smile to us, but it was strained, the corners of his mouth barely lifting, devoid of warmth or genuineness. His eyes were distant, detached. We arranged ourselves in a line opposite Leo, with Grace taking the seat nearest to him, knowing my reluctance, and I settled in the centre.

"I'm not one for theatrics or prolonging matters, so Mr Reynolds, my solicitor, will lay everything out for you as plainly as possible", Vincent declared.

His eyes met each of ours, conveying a sense of pity. It was an uncomfortable sensation.