Chapter 8

As we entered the grey room with its stiff, formal layout, I couldn't help but feel like I was about to enter a boardroom for a high-stakes meeting.

"Welcome, Bella", the man behind the large mahogany desk spoke in a deep, smooth voice. "I'm Mr De Luca, but please call me Vincenzo or Vincent if you like". he extended his hand for a handshake.

"Nice to meet you", I replied, trying to hide my nerves. "Please accept my apologies for being late".

"No harm done, you're here now".

"Your name means victory, right?" I asked, trying to make small talk.

There was a gratified glint in his eyes "yes, victorious, I feel that I've lived up to my name's sake". "So, you speak Italian?" he asked.

"Not fluently, I studied it in school, and I took some classes. I've always wanted to go".

"You most definitely should", he gestured to both me and Grace "please, sit".

Just as we settled in, the door swung open, and a familiar face entered.

"Ah, Bella you have a kindred spirit in my son it seems. Late again Leonardo" he said shaking his head.

I stared, unmoving and unblinking. My heart sank as I realised that Leo was the son of the man I needed to impress.

Leo the patronising arsehole. How do I sell my shop to a cynic.

"Auggie, it's nice to see you again" he said with a hint of sarcasm as he sat opposite me, his eyes focused.

"You too, Leo" I said avoiding his gaze.

"Oh, you've met before? Wait, who is Auggie? Vincent quizzed.

"Yes, I've had the pleasure of meeting Bella a few times now. Auggie is a private joke between us. We're becoming fast friends, aren't we?" He said challenging.

Play along, don't fuck this up.

"Practically BFF's I said" trying to look sincere. He was trying to make me squirm. It was working.

Vincent looked at us both with a satisfied smile before getting down to business. "Grace here has already filled me in on your predicament and I'm going to be honest", he said, his tone serious. "The principal reason for the failure of your company is the lack of financial controls and poor organisation".

The truth stung.

"Frankly, there is no option to downsize or shed costs quickly as it appears your market has turned against you. Why should we invest in Crystal Clear?" he asked, getting straight to the point.

My heart was racing as I prepared myself for this all-important question.

"Our market hasn't turned against us", I spoke up confidently, trying not to sound defensive. In fact, nine out of ten customers have said they're more likely to do business with us if we offered a loyalty program".

Grace chimed in, backing me up. "Our company has grown, adapted, and innovated in response to changing market dynamics".

Vincent looked at us sceptically, waiting for more. "So why are you facing liquidation? Why do you need us?" he questioned. I couldn't quite read his expression.

"Sure, Whistlebury isn't the most happening place, and we have an aging population against us, we can reach the younger customers through social media", I continued. "We can join the digital age and start selling online. And we have Sage, who performs personal readings - she doesn't advertise, but we could offer zoom or teams readings to people online". I took a deep breath before finishing my pitch. "We have options that we haven't explored yet. We just need the help. We're ready to embrace change, but we're not ready to give up". I hated how desperate I sounded, but I knew this was our chance to save our company.

Leo's expression was a storm of disapproval, lines etched deeply into his forehead and mouth set in a hard line. I could practically hear the words forming on his tongue, ready to shoot down our proposal.

"We would be taking an enormous risk with this. It's crucial that you understand, as shareholders, we are the last to see any return if your company goes bankrupt. And based on my analysis, that outcome is inevitable".

Of course, he would see it that way. To him, our shop was nothing more than a gimmicky placebo.

"Sorry to disappoint you, but you're mistaken", I asserted boldly. "We've weathered 40 years of unexpected changes and come out stronger. We have no competitors; we are truly unique. Our business has proven its value time and time again. We just need to reach more of the right audience".

With that, we launched into our pitch, accompanied by flashy slides and statistics. Vincent and Leo sat stoically, their poker faces giving nothing away.

As we finished, Vincent took a moment to look at each of us before speaking. I tried to exude confidence while Grace radiated nervousness.

"Well, you've certainly given us a lot to consider. I have to say, I'm quite intrigued", he said.

My heart soared, but I tried to maintain a cool façade.

"Thank you for your time, both of you" I said as I turned to Leo, giving him a fleeting smile. All I wanted was to escape from this meeting.

Leo stood up and held the door open for us. "I'll walk you both out", he said stiffly. "I happen to be heading back to Whistlebury myself".