Chapter 20

With a low groan, Leo closed the gap between us as our lips met in a soft, tender kiss. My breath hitched as he deepened the kiss, his lips moving against mine with an urgent yet gentle rhythm. A tingling sensation spread through my body as our moans mixed with the crackling of the fire and our hands roamed freely.

Our embrace growing more frantic. I let out a soft gasp as he lifted me effortlessly, carrying me towards the living room and laying me down on the soft rug in front of the fire.

Leo's voice was a low hum as he whispered, "Are you sure about this, Bella?"

With a moan of affirmation, I responded, "Yes".

The warmth of the fire surrounded us as we quickly discarded our clothes. "Oh, Leo", I gasped, my voice filled with pleasure as he traced his lips along my neck and our movements became more urgent. With each arch of my body against his, I dug my nails into his back. The intensity of our first time together filled the cottage, intertwined with the scent of burning wood and shared desire.

As morning approached and sunlight peeked through the curtains, casting a warm glow over the room, I felt Leo's presence beside me. Awkwardness lingered in the air from last night's events. Clearing my throat, I turned to him and greeted him casually.

"Morning," I said.

Leo ran a hand through his hair and met my gaze. "Hey", he replied shyly.

Feeling bold, I offered to make breakfast. Leo's face broke into a smile as he accepted. We both scrambled to find our clothes. I hated one-night stands, the awkward dance of the morning was not something I liked to repeat. I wrestled with the idea of addressing what happened but decided to keep quiet.

The sound of sizzling bacon filled the kitchen, mingling with our light conversations. I stole a glance at Leo, again noticing the way his eyes crinkled when he smiled sincerely and the way his gaze softened when he looked at me. We ate in silence, occasionally stealing glances at each other and sharing small smiles.

Suddenly, Leo's phone beeped. He checked it and his face grew serious. "I have to go", he said, standing up abruptly.

"What about breakfast?" I asked, trying to sound unaffected.

"I'm sorry, I have to leave. Did you sign those documents?" he asked, a hint of urgency in his voice.

"Um, I still have two more to do", I replied with disappointment in my voice.

He regrets what happened. Why did we have to cross the line. Bella, you have to work with this man.

"Done," I replied, sliding the papers towards him without meeting his gaze.

"We should meet later to talk about this," he said in a firm tone that I didn't appreciate.

"I can't, I'm busy with the shop".

He scoffed, "Oh yes, I'm sure the customers are just clamouring to get in".

That's it, push my buttons. Here we go again.

"I apologise for not being at your beck and call, Leo. Contrary to what you may think, I do have a busy life. This village may seem small compared to your big city, but I have responsibilities." My voice rising higher than intended, but my message was clear.

"You're right, there's nothing else to discuss. I'll take these papers to my father, and he'll be in touch about what's next".

Could he sound any more distant?

As quickly as our connection ignited, it'd fizzled out just as fast.

"See you around, Bella". And then he was gone.

I was left alone, feeling hurt and confused as I tried to process what had just happened. The business may have been struggling but losing Leo's support and friendship felt like an even greater loss in the moment.