Thirty

'Stop fidgeting Sage, you look gorgeous.' I frowned, as she was getting increasingly antsy. 

She flipped her blonde hair over her shoulder. 'I'm just worried that my date won't be impressed.' 

'If he isn't, I'll break his legs, I spent 3 hours altering your dress.' I pointed out. 

'Easy for you to say Katherine, you look incredible.' Sage pouted. 

I stared at myself in the mirror, lines between my brows becoming more prominent. 'I don't know if I should go tonight. Maybe I'll just send a note to Calliope that I won't be her date.' 

'Why?' Sage raised an eyebrow. 

'I'm just not in the mood.' I shook my head. 'I'm not in the mindset to drink and socialise.' 

Sage walked over and stood behind me in the mirror, putting her hands on my shoulders. 'Please tell me you're joking. You did not just waste all that time on your hair and makeup just to cancel and spend the rest of the night up here.'

'I really don't feel like going, Sage.' 

'Well too bad. You made a commitment to be Calliope's date, you're going to honour it. Besides, I know what your problem is, and I think you need to deal with it, but not right now. Just enjoy tonight.' 

'Oh, and what is my problem?' I said sarcastically. 

'You're in love.' She said simply, like it was the most obvious thing. 'It does shit like this to you.' 

'Sage, my parents would kill me if they thought I was in love with an Ever.' I smirked. 

'I'm not talking about Calliope, you idiot.' She laughed. 'I suppose I haven't really helped, going on about rooting for you and Lesso, when you're still trying to heal. I should have been a bit more sensitive.' 

'A lot more.' I corrected. 

'Come to the Evers and Nevers ball.' She nudged me. 'And show both schools what a bad bitch looks like.' 

I grinned. 'Okay, fine. I'll make an appearance, dance with Calliope, what could go wrong.' 

'That's the spirit!' She laughed. 'Come on!' 

I put my high heels on, joining Sage at the door and we headed down towards the ballroom. 

We soon arrived and I quickly spotted Calliope anxiously waiting outside. She looked beautiful considering she was an Ever; she was wearing a pastel pink ball gown which was embroided with multicoloured flowers along the skirt and her light brown hair was curled to perfection. She spotted me. 'Katherine. You look amazing.' 

'You don't look so bad yourself, princess.' I smirked. Sage gave us both a smile before heading inside. 

Calliope held out her hand. 'You coming?' 

I took a deep breath, putting my hand in hers. 'Of course.' 

We headed inside, where there was a mix of students dancing, the pastel colours clashing with the dark hues of Nevers. My eyes scanned the room and I felt my heart do a little jump when I saw my ex-girlfriend standing with Professor Dovey, they were drinking and talking. She hadn't seen me yet. 

'Do you want to dance?' Calliope asked. I agreed so she led us to the dancefloor, where I took her hand and put my other hand on her waist, whereas she put hers on my shoulder; looks like I was leading. 

We slowly revolved to the music, and I breathed in the vanilla scent emanating off Calliope; it was kind of nice. I noticed Gideon dancing near us with another Never girl I recognised from our classes. He winked at us, and I grinned. I wasn't actually having too bad a time right now. Calliope was a good dancer.