Twenty-Nine

A/N: Calliope as pictured above, what I imagine her to look like.

'So, how did you two become best friends?' Calliope asked me and Sage. 

'Would you believe me if I said we hated each other at first?' I grinned. 

'No, really? You both seem pretty solid.' She laughed. 

'No, she's right, we always used to absolutely rip the shit out of each other.' Sage agreed. 'How did it start, again?'

 'I killed your mouse.' I reminded her. 

'Oh yeah...' She nodded. 'Good times.' 

'Aye, really good times when you stabbed me with a dagger during a sword fight, and I nearly bled out.' I scoffed. 

'That really happened?' Calliope gasped. 

'Aye, it really happened.' I confirmed. 

'These two are actually crazy, I sometimes wonder why I'm friends with them.' Gideon shook his head. 

'Please, you have a scary guard privilege with us. No one will dare touch you Gideon, because you're with us.' Sage waved a hand dismissively. 

'I suppose there's that.' He agreed. 

'Anyway, in other news, the Evers and Nevers ball is coming up in a few weeks.' Calliope changed the subject. 'Have you all got dates?' 

'No, not yet.' Sage answered. 'There's a few guys I'm thinking of asking though.' 

'Have you heard the latest though?' Calliope grinned. 'Professor Dovey joked about going with Lady Lesso but we don't actually think she was joking.' 

My head snapped up. 'Really?' 

Sage smirked at me. 'I'm still waiting for Katherine to ask Lesso.' 

'Get fucked.' I rolled my eyes. 

'I thought you two had split up?' Calliope frowned. 

'Oh, we did. Sage just thinks she's hilarious.' I looked pointedly at Sage. 

'Who are you actually going to go with?' Sage asked. 'And don't say us as friends, I've just said I've got my eye on a few guys.' 

'Me?' Calliope suggested. 

I stared. 'Erm, what?' 

She blushed a delicate pink. 'I mean, if you want. It doesn't need to be a thing thing, but like, as friends.' 

'Sure.' I nodded slowly. 'Why not? I haven't got a date.' 

'Great.' She smiled. 'I've got to get to class, but I'll catch you later.' She hopped off the bench, leaving. 

I stared after her. 'Okay. Looks like I do now have a date to the ball.' 

'Are you channelling Hester or something?' Gideon asked. 

'What?' I raised an eyebrow. 

'She also dated an Ever, who I believe she's still with.' He explained. 

'No, I didn't even consider Calliope.' I shook my head. 'I'm just as surprised as you that she just asked.' 

'Still, it might make Lesso jealous.' Sage grinned. 

I glared. 'What do you gain from this?' 

'I'm rooting for you both, you know this.' She smiled innocently. 

'Sorry to disappoint you mate, but that ship sailed long ago.' I shrugged, sipping my coffee. 

'As the daughter of a pirate, you should know that most ships come back into the same harbour more than once.' She responded.