Two

'Happy Birthday Katherine!' 

I opened my eyes. Mum and Dad came into my room, carrying a 3 tier cake, completely black with gold intricate patterns on it and and a huge glowing 18 hovering above it magically. 

I grinned, sitting up slowly. 'Thank you!'

Mum sat next to me, presenting the cake. 'Blow out the 18.' 

'Isn't that meant to be candles you blow out usually?' I questioned. 

'Oh shush, I thought this would have a more dramatic effect.' She grinned.  

I smiled, shaking my head before I blew at the 18, causing it to explode in a bunch of golden sparks above us. 'I love it, thank you guys.' 

'You're welcome.' Dad laughed. 'The cake was mostly your mother's doing, but I do have a great gift for you later.' 

'Can I see it now?' I asked hopefully. 

'Nope, it's aboard my ship and your mother wants you to open her gifts first.' He rolled his eyes. 

'Okay.' I nodded. 

'We'll leave you to get up and get dressed, I'll make a pot of coffee downstairs.' Mum told me before she and dad left, closing my door behind them. 

I got up, getting a shower before picking my outfit out for the day. I chose a dark green chiffon shirt with black flared trousers which were tight around the thighs. I added some black heeled ankle boots and I curled my dark hair into beachy waves with magic. My mother had been teaching me magic since I was 14, since she was a witch, so she wanted me to follow in her footsteps. My dad however, had other ideas and was trying to show me sword duelling skills and how to captain his ship, the Jolly Roger. I guess I was blessed to be their daughter. I had both witch and pirate traits in me. 

I headed downstairs, and my mum handed me a mug of steaming coffee. I thanked her silently. 'Your gifts are on the kitchen table!' 

I sighed, grinning as my made my way into the kitchen, where there was a small stack of gifts on the table. I placed my mug down, reaching for the smallest one at the top, tearing open the (black) paper. It contained a set of 2 lipsticks, one that was a dark red and the other in black. 

'Thanks mum!' I grinned. 

'Hey, if you're going to start villain school, you've got to look the part.' Mum laughed. 'There's also something else in there for you to take to school with you.' 

The other one turned out to be a fitted leather jacket. I tried it on and it fit perfectly. 

'you've got another gift there, Katherine.' Dad pointed out a small black box on the table. 'It's from both of us. The one thing we actually agreed on.'

'Oh? Is it jewellery?' I guessed. 

'Nope. Open it and find out.' 

I cautiously opened the black box to reveal a silver key. 'Thanks? What is it to?' 

'You know that house near the beach that you've been banging on about for months? Well, we bought it for you.' Mum announced. 

My mouth dropped open. 'No way. Are you serious?' 

'Yes, it's currently under renovation, but it'll be ready for when you come back from school for Christmas!' Dad grinned. 'Me and your mother thought it was about time you got a place of your own.' 

'Thank you so much!' I hugged them both. 

'Now don't start getting all emotional, or we'll think you've gone soft.' Mum said sternly. 

'Wouldn't dream of it.' I laughed. 

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Later on, I joined my dad on his ship. 'You want another duelling session?' He asked. 

'Well, since it's my birthday, of course.' I nodded. 

He gave a half grin. 'Yes, you're probably going to be doing a lot of duelling at your new school too, so I thought to myself, you'll probably want a sword of your own!' He handed me a case. 

'Oh my god.' I opened the case to reveal a brand new gleaming sword, complete with it's own leather belt and holster. 'This is incredible, thank you!' 

'No worries. Your mum didn't want me to give it to you earlier in case I upstaged her.' He shook his head. 

'Hey, saved the best for last.' I laughed. 

'That's my girl.' He hi-fived me. 'Now, what do you say I take my daughter for a birthday drink?' 

'I thought we were duelling.' 

'That can wait.' He said, heading off the ship. I followed him. 'I want a rum before I even think about wielding a sword.' 

I shook my head, grinning. 'You need to lay off the rum.' 

'So your mother tells me.' 

We took the short walk into town, and soon reached the old tavern. I reminisced about the blue-eyed woman I'd had an encounter with a few days ago. 

We entered the tavern, and my eyes flickered around the dim pub, looking for a flash of red hair. Nothing. I hadn't seen her since that encounter, and to be honest, I'd been hoping to, but I wasn't overly disappointed. I'd already just shrugged it off as a one-time brief thing. I was a villain, we didn't do emotions or dating, and I certainly was not an exception. The thought of dating had me shuddering in disgust. However, physically getting involved with someone was completely different. No emotions, no strings attached. Best way to go. Look at my parents, for instance.  

'Hello old man, we'll have 2 rums please!' Dad ordered. The barman nodded respectfully, making the two drinks. My dad had a reputation around here of being a pirate you didn't want to mess with. It was really fun when I told people that my dad was Captain Hook, they treated me with respect, and I was basically immune to any harm.