Seventeen

'This is ridiculous, Evers and Nevers mixing. If it were like that in my day, it'd be because they were fighting.' Mum said distastefully. 

I rolled my eyes. 'Yeah well, people were more primitive in your day, mother. We're a bit more civilised now.' 

Dad laughed. 'That's you told, Gothel.' 

'Grow up.' She glared. 'Like father, like daughter.' 

'If you don't like it, why are you even here?' I sighed. 

'To see that you're doing everything you should and not being led astray by stupid princesses or distractions.' 

'Meaning?' I raised an eyebrow. 

'You're here to become a villain and not disappoint me.' She responded. 'What subject are you taking next year alongside your usual ones?' 

'I haven't thought about it yet.' I shrugged. 'I was thinking maybe sword-duelling.' 

'That's my girl.' Dad grinned. 

'That's not even a proper subject!' Mum frowned. 'Don't start taking after your useless father!' 

'I am still here, you know.' Dad interjected. 

'You know what mum, what I choose to do with my life, is my decision only!' I was beginning to get really irritated. 'If I want to take sword-duelling, I will! If I want to get my own ship and pillage villages, I bloody well can! I'm not going to become like you mother, locking princesses in towers and brewing potions deep in the woods.' 

For once I'd actually rendered my mother speechless. 

Dad however, was in fits of laughter. I wasn't amused though. I was sick of her telling me what to do all the time. 

'You really know how to hurt your own mother sometimes.' Mother glared. 'I'm leaving.' 

She swept out of the crowded hall, and me and dad made eye-contact before we both burst out laughing. 'Ignore her Katherine, she's just being dramatic.' Dad chuckled. 'She'll get over it.' 

'I don't like her telling me what to do and expecting me to be like her.' I crossed my arms. 

'I'm proud of you, kiddo.' He told me. 'I'm glad I raised such an independent and free-spirited young woman. You're going to do incredible things.' 

'Thanks dad.' I smiled gratefully. 

******************************************************************************************************************************************

Eventually dinner was over and parents started leaving. My dad actually gave me a hug before he left. I think he could tell mum had gotten to me more than I let on. I just wished she accepted that I was also my father's daughter, so of course I was a little like him. Yes, it was cool that I could do things like control elements (a gift I'd inherited off my mother), but I wasn't interested in going down the witchy path. I liked sword-duelling, drinking whisky, and wearing leather. She needed to start accepting me for who I was, rather than who she wanted me to be. 

When my dad left, I headed over to Dot and Hort who were in our usual spot in the dining room. They both looked up when I joined them. 

'Dad left already then?' Hort asked. 

'Yeah, he told me to tell you bye. He would have told you himself but he had a feeling you're still not happy with him.' I nodded. 

'And he's right, I'm not.' He said grumpily. 'Imagine choosing which of your kids you have contact with just because one of their mothers tells you to stay away.' 

The Definition of Insanity | 𝐿𝒶𝒹𝓎 𝐿𝑒𝓈𝓈𝑜जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें