Nineteen

We eventually left Safer's class, heading to our next class. Sage quickly caught up with me. 'Hey.'

'Hey?' I frowned. 'Thanks for lying for me back there. You really didn't have to though.' 

She shrugged. 'Us Nevers have got to look out for each other. Besides, I want to call a truce.' 

I raised an eyebrow. 'I don't know.' 

'Would it help if I apologised for stabbing you?' 

'Maybe.' I smiled wryly. 

'Okay, I sincerely apologise for stabbing you, Katherine. Sometimes I do things I really don't have to.' She said. 

'Okay, fine, truce accepted.' I nodded. 'It's going to take a while to trust you though. As you can probably understand.' 

'Of course. If it helps, I don't talk to Allegra anymore. Especially when I realised what a two-faced bitch she is. At least you and I didn't hide our mutual dislike at first.' She laughed. 

'You actually have a point.' I agreed. 

'I do think Allegra is just jealous of you, that's her problem.' 

'Says you and everyone else.' I sighed. 'She's starting to piss me off. If it is that, she needs to get over her petty drama with me and grow up. I'm not in the mood for any of it.' 

We soon reached our next class with Lesso and I headed to my usual desk at the back and Sage followed me to the back. This was weird, her being all friendly with me. I definitely didn't trust it. But that was just me. I had serious trust issues. 

I got my notebook out, setting it on my desk, and looked up, accidentally making eye-contact with Lesso. She smirked and I felt myself blushing again. 

'Alright you two, stop eye fucking each other.' Sage whispered to me, leaning over. I whipped around to look at her in shock. She grinned. 

'Erm, what are you talking about?' I played dumb. 

'Really? The looks you and your girlfriend were just exchanging?' She laughed quietly. 

'You know?' I said in an undertone. 

'Fuck yeah, I know!' She snorted. 

'And you haven't said anything to anyone...?' 

'Hey, what you do in your time, is your business.' She held up her hands. 'I'm a lot of things, but I'm not a snitch.' 

I grinned slightly, looking down at my desk. Maybe I'd really misjudged Sage. 

'Right, we're going to be doing something a little bit different today, to test your strengths with your unique talents!' Lesso announced. 'I'm going to pair you all up and you're going to go against each other with your talents, first person to give up, loses.' 

She started randomly pairing people up and I'd been paired up with Gideon. Sage had been paired up with another random classmate, and so did Allegra. 

I wondered how Sage was going to use her necromancy talent in a fight against another classmate, but that question was quickly answered, when she conjured up reanimated animals from the dead, making them fight the demon the other classmate was controlling. It was actually quite entertaining. 

Eventually the demon won, after ripping the heads off the animals. Sage looked irritated but accepted defeat. I nodded at her, giving her a thumbs-up and she grinned. It was still weird, us getting along like this. I noticed Allegra staring at us both, eyes narrowed, but I ignored her. I wasn't going to rise to it anymore.