Twenty Three: "Fire"

"And my, my love and been frozen

"And my, my love and been frozen. Deep blue, but you painted me golden."

~*~*~

After spending the entire day in the boat Hallyn was thoroughly exhausted. She was baked to the core like a little loaf of bread. Today has been one of her favorite days of the entire summer.

Everyone had fun and they all got along. Her face hurt from laughing the entire time. Now, after winding down and eating dinner they were all sat in a circle around the fire pit. The heat doing nothing to sooth her sunburnt skin.

Her back was against Luke's chest as they were sprawled in a heap on the cool grass. They had a blanket wrapped around them and Hallyn was holding it closed with her hands.

"No, that's ridiculous!" Trevor yells from across the fire. Hallyn's gotten really good at tuning him out. He meant well but god could he talk your ear off.

"The only thing that's ridiculous is your take on the topic." Jack rolled his eyes. Trevor practically shot out of his chair, arms spread wide with his palms facing them.

"The milk obviously goes first!"

Everyone was silent, starting at him with open jaws. Hallyn burst out in a quick spurt of laughter. This kid was actually crazy.

"You're all gonna sit there and tell me that I'm wrong?" He pointed a finger at each of them.

Quinn shook his head, Hallyn watched as his perfectly styled hair shook with the movement. He was sitting across from her at the fire. She couldn't stop staring at him beneath her lashes.

He looked insanely gorgeous. The shadows from the flames danced across his features. Every so often he would catch her staring. She would smile and he would duck his head as if the action of catching her was flustering for him. Halllyn was half drunk and too exhausted to care so she never broke eye contact. Never looked away when he caught her.

"Trevor, you're a fucking idiot. Nobody in their right mind puts the milk before the cereal. I don't even know why we are arguing this." Quinn's voice was husky from hours of yelling on the boat. It was so hot.

The boy in question turned to face her, his eyes zoned in on her and she knew he was about to turn this on her. "You've been pretty quiet Blondie. What's your take?"

Trevor was practically begging her with his eyes. "Cereal, then milk. I'm not a crazy person."

His shoulders physically deflated as he plopped back in his chair. "So I'm really the only one. That's so ridiculous."