CHAPTER 2

CHAPTER 2 : Scoldings and a test of patience
-------------------------------------------------------

"THIEF! THIEF" The voice of an old lady came from behind . I didn't want to pay attention to it .

One step forward

Two step forward

Three steps forward-Eh nevermind I can be late .

I turned around and saw her trying to gather her strength as much as she could while trying to catch him . I felt angry at the thief for this , as she tried her best to catch her breath .

He was coming in my direction only and I swung my tote bag as fast as I could , which was full of groceries which I had bought for my home. I waited for him to reach the area I was in and I narrowed my eyes to focus . As he ran towards me to run forward , I slammed the loaded tote bag on his face , making him stumble .

A string of blood came down his nose and I snatched the purse from his hand .

The old lady was catching up , and realising this he quickly ran away , but not before crouching to the ground and picking up something.

"Thank you for saving my bag from being stolen" the lady thanked me.

"It's my pleasure. I would be going now " I told her to release that I am running late for my job .

"Wait-what's your good name for my daughter?" She asked .

"Safia Yousuf. It was nice to meet you aunty" I said and ran away to do my job .

"Wait!" She yelled again , but I knew if I stayed more , my boss would surely eat up all of my salary.

I ran , and opened the door of the restaurant quickly . I smiled when I saw the boss hadn't arrived and sat on the table catching my breath .

"Wonderful" Arman Hashim said while giving me slow claps .

Here the devil was .

He emerged from the kitchen , who would have known . I sealed my lips tightly not knowing what to answer.

"3...3 RULES HAVE BEEN BROKEN TODAY! BY...BY YOU!" He angrily said while pointing his index finger towards me . His fingers stopped a few centimetres right away from my face . I shut my eyes at that awkwardly.

"First-You came late . Second-You sat on the table instead of the chair. THIRD YOU LOOK UNTIDY !!" He yelled . I started at my reflection on the glass table and yes I did look untidy . My hair was messy and I looked like I just woke up from bed and came to work . Being a waitress required being tidy , but due to all the running my hair was messed up.

"Sir I can explain.." I tried to make him understand but he was too adamant and crossed his arms across his chest .

"No explanations needed . Go out . I will write a leave for you in attendance" He strictly said.

"But sir-I ain't on leave . Give me 10 minutes please I have a comb in my bag I will quickly comb my hair and do extra duty today" I requested.

"No"

"Please sir" I requested . It was against the values of the old Saifa Yousuf , but for this new one , it was necessary to bow down . I needed money . Even 2000 rupees seemed like a big amount.

"Fine-Just because I feel generous today I will give you a chance but it's your fast and last warning" He said and walked away while dialing a number on his phone .

Thankfully the restaurant was empty and nobody could witness me getting scolded . I quickly walked towards the kitchen where Kashaf di was working . She was the head chef . I always liked her long hair which she usually tied in a bun and covered her head with dupatta, but there were times when I would have a glimpse of her hair and she just smiled . I adored everything about her , from her traditional dressing style , in which she would mostly stitch her own dress or recycle the ones of her mother , till her absolutely amazing colour choices . She was standing near the messy slap while arranging utensils to place the big bowl full of marinated chicken.

It wasn't a big restaurant. It was medium in size and earned great profit because of it being situated in a zone where University was . A lot of students gathered and it was affordable for students to eat at , so it was mostly packed . Kashaf di, Abhishek Bhai , Mariyum di and I worked here .

Arman was the owner of this place and visited it almost daily to keep a check on the system . I didn't like him , neither did any of us four .

Kashaf di look at me with a chuckle "Don't take his words to heart , he is going crazy with each passing time"

"Yeah I know , but sometimes...."I started and she just completed while stopping her moments as if deeply thinking about something , "It hurts" she completed.

"Yeah-"

"It's fine . Tie up your hair and tidy your dress , till then I will make a delicious chicken sandwich for you" she offered and I smiled instantly while going to tie my hair . She usually did offer to make me some food . Initially , I used to decline it , but later she talked out and made me realise how taking a portion of the big food stock won't hurt anyone .

I went to the washroom and arranged my dupatta properly . I sighed while looking at my reflection in the mirror . I used to fair once , but now my skin had tanned and my lips were slightly chapped due to the lack of care I put in them . I just cupped my palm and opened the tap to gather water in my palms , and splashed it on my face .

I dried my face by the corner of my dupatta , and pulled out the apron I had kept in the tote bag . It had the shop's logo on it , 'Khana Bazaar' . I tied it with a slight difficulty on my back and then put my hand into the tote bag again to pull out of the comb..It came . But then I realised that there were just groceries there now . I kept 4 things in it , my groceries , my comb , my apron and my wallet. My wallet was missing !! It had my pan card , adhar card and ration card !!! I don't know what I will do if they go missing .

I clasped my palm on my forehead, remembering very clearly that the thing which the thief bent and picked up was none other than my wallet . My eyes were tearing up . I splashed water on my face again to head back to duty.

Whatever it is , I will have to look into it after my duty ends .

To be continued.....

____________________________

Sometimes things don't go as per planned , but it's not always a bad thing . Nvm if it happened to me , I will freak out bcz as it's said , easier said than done ! (⁠˘⁠・⁠_⁠・⁠˘⁠)

(Date : 8 March / 2024 )