Chapter Twenty-Nine

**NAOMI'S POV**

The little girl clung to me throughout the entire journey home. Every glance up at me from her tear-streaked face broke my heart. For someone so small, she had already witnessed far too much. She didn't deserve to see her mother like that.

As the car rolled to a stop in front of the house, Ryan and I jumped out. The little girl, now asleep in my arms, was cradled gently against my chest. My mother’s anxious eyes met mine as soon as we walked through the door.

“Did you find her?” she asked, her voice trembling with hope.

I shook my head, the gravity of our situation sinking in deeper. My mother gasped, her hand flying to her mouth, as she took in the sight of the bloodstained child. She approached me quickly, her expression a mix of concern and sadness. “What happened?” she whispered.

I swallowed hard, my voice catching in my throat. “We found her at Gavin’s house. She was… she was clinging to her dead mother in a cupboard,” I said, the vivid image of the scene replaying in my mind. Tears threatened to spill.

My mother’s eyes filled with tears as well. “Poor child,” she murmured. “Let’s get her cleaned up and find her something clean to wear.”

I nodded, grateful for her calm presence. “Can you check in on the team?” I asked Ryan, who gave me a reassuring nod before heading back outside.

The little girl stirred and woke, her eyes darting around the unfamiliar surroundings. “Momma?” she whispered, tears beginning to fall again.

“It’s okay, little one. I’ve got you,” I soothed her. “This is my momma. She will help.” I pointed to my mother, who offered a gentle smile.

My mother guided us upstairs to the bathroom, where the sight of a bubbling bath instantly brightened the little girl’s face. “Bath!” she exclaimed with a giggle, her previous fears momentarily forgotten.

“Yes, bath,” I confirmed with a warm smile. “At least she knows what a bath is,” my mother said with a sigh of relief.

The little girl squirmed eagerly in my arms until I set her down beside the tub. She waddled over, her giggles filling the room as she played with the bubbles. “Let’s call you Sydney for now,” I said softly, and my mother nodded approvingly, “Wonderful name, my dear.”

After the bath, Sydney threw a tantrum over having to leave the water, but eventually, we managed to get her dressed in clean clothes we had taken from Gavin’s nursery. We had also taken a bag of essentials—milk, nappies, and extra clothes.

Sydney fell asleep quickly on the sofa, clutching a pink bunny teddy Ryan had bought for her. She looked peaceful now, wrapped in a pink blanket and mini house coat.

Ryan had called Maliki to update him before heading to the shopping center. He returned with a toddler bed, blankets, teddies, toys, sippy cups, and a selection of nappies and wipes. Seeing him handle everything with such ease made my heart swell. Sydney’s eyes lit up when Ryan handed her the fluffy bunny, and she clung to it tightly.

I had never considered having a family of my own, but watching Ryan’s tenderness with Sydney made me reconsider everything. Despite my reservations, Ryan's caring nature made me yearn for a future with him. I kept reminding him not to get too attached, fearing Sydney might end up with a grandmother. But Ryan reassured me, insisting that we focus on caring for her in the meantime.

---

**MALIKI'S POV**

I scoured the house a third time, frustration mounting with each failed search. It was time to interrogate Gavin. Callie’s necklace had been found here, which meant she had been too. I left a team to continue searching the grounds and headed back to base with the others.

Cole and Marcus had already secured Gavin in a cell. As we arrived at the house, David asked, “You sure you can handle this?”

I shot him a puzzled look. “Shouldn’t I be asking you that?”

David chuckled and jumped out as the car came to a stop. We made our way around the back and descended into the cells. Alistar, Marcus, and Cole awaited us at the bottom.

“He’s in cell three,” they informed me.

I nodded and approached the cell, opening the door to find Gavin chained in the corner. His face lit up with panic as he saw me.

“Maliki... it... it’s not what it seems,” Gavin stammered. I didn’t respond, allowing him to continue, “Just tell me what you want.”

A dark chuckle escaped me, making Gavin flinch. “Who is the woman and child?” I asked, my voice cold.

Gavin’s face turned ashen, his body twitching nervously. “My daughter and wife,” he whispered, barely meeting my gaze.

“Why did you kill her mother?” I demanded, my tone sharp.

“She tried to leave me. It was an accident,” Gavin replied, his voice quivering.

I paced the cell, my frustration mounting. Gavin’s breathing quickened as he watched me. “Maliki, please, I’ve been a loyal soldier for your company,” Gavin pleaded.

I stopped and stared at him. “Where was your loyalty when Callie was bleeding out in Sam’s arms?” I roared, causing Gavin to shrink back. “None, I see,” I sneered. I pulled out Callie’s necklace from my pocket. “Why was this on a dresser in a secret room in your house?”

Gavin’s eyes widened. “It... it’s my wife’s,” he stammered, nodding as if trying to convince himself more than me.

Leaning against the door, I heard a phone ring. My attention shifted to Naomi’s voice, “The team needs us back at the house ASAP. They’ve found something.”

I turned back to Gavin. “Sit tight,” I said with a sinister smile before leaving the cell.

When we arrived back at the house, Marcus, Steph, Leigh, Cole, and I followed the commander to the greenhouse. Inside, a large tree dominated the space. The commander led us to a hatch beneath the tree’s roots.

The stench was overwhelming as we opened the hatch. Cole gagged and walked away, followed by Leigh and Marcus. Steph and I descended into the bunker, flicking on the lights to reveal a horrifying scene—dead bodies scattered everywhere, all women.

Steph motioned to a door leading to another room. Inside, the walls were covered with pictures—some of Gavin, others of drugged women, and disturbing images of Callie. “The final show,” Steph read from a banner above the pictures. I felt a surge of anger as I recognized a photo of Callie and me at the Gala.

We gathered the photos and instructed the team to bury the bodies. On the drive back, Steph continued to sift through the photos, her face pale with disgust.

Once back at the cell, I threw the photos down in front of Gavin. His eyes widened in shock. “How did you…” he whispered, pushing the photos away.

“We found all the women. Dead,” I told him, my voice low and dangerous.

Gavin’s eyes darted between the photos and me. “I’ve never seen those before,” he insisted.

His denial ignited a fierce rage within me. I grabbed his head and slammed it against the wall. “The final show,” I roared, my fury evident.

Naomi’s voice broke through. “Maliki, stop. You’ll kill him before he talks. We’ve found more files in his safe. Let’s take a break.”

I released Gavin and picked up the photos. “Scumbag,” I muttered, spitting on him as I left the cell.

Just as Naomi was closing the door, Gavin’s sinister laughter echoed through the cell. “The final show is near,” he repeated, his voice a chilling reminder of the horrors that still lay ahead.