Chapter 92: Maximilian Belitsky

The Romanov residence was immersed in silence, the little one having drifted into sleep hours ago in one of the guest rooms. Maximilian harbored a dislike for the fact that Meher was resting in the guest room and not the one specially designed for her—Meher's room. Maximilian, alongside the playhouse, had meticulously planned a room for his blessing. However, he wished to ensure that tonight's crucial discussion unfolded favorably before unveiling it to the mother-daughter duo. The thought of revealing the room without assurance that Meher would eventually occupy it left a pang in his heart. He couldn't fathom living in the house, in case Seher and he didn't work out. The girls had not only found a place in his heart but had also stepped into his home, and he was determined not to let them leave. Thus, he aimed to eliminate any hesitance or secrets standing between them.

Victor had arranged for Meher to sleep in a guest room on his side of the house, adjacent to his own, promising Seher he would keep an eye on the little one throughout the night. As Maximilian and Seher sat in the sunroom, now bathed in moonlight, their conversation meandered through random topics. Maximilian gathered the courage to initiate the pivotal discussion, while Seher chattered away, mirroring their usual nightly phone calls.

Seher chuckled playfully, remarking, "You know, Ian, there's an interesting rumor circulating in the business world about you." Maximilian, softly caressing Seher's hair while she lay with her head on his lap, responded with a hum, "What's that, sweetheart?" Seher continued, sharing the rumor alleging his involvement with the Russian mafia.

She couldn't help but laugh, "Can you believe it? Those who create these rumors must be a bit more intelligent. I mean, a rumor about you being unattractive because you avoid the camera makes sense. Then there's another suggesting you're gay because you're not frequently seen with women – though I doubt it's because you evade paparazzi. A plausible rumor about criminal ties is still understandable, but mafia? Come on. It's like proposing a rumor that you're an alpha of a werewolf clan here in Chicago. Seriously?" Seher concluded with laughter, highlighting the sheer absurdity of it all.

Maximilian took a deep breath, his demeanor tensing, causing Seher to pause her laughter and look at his expression. Sensing something serious, she sat up beside him, "Are you okay, Ian? Did I say something wrong?" Maximilian shook his head, a serious expression taking over, like stormy clouds on a sunny day. He thoughtfully responded, "Baby, there's another reason I wanted you guys here tonight." Seher questioned, "Okay?" As Maximilian continued, "You've told me everything there is to know about you. And you gave me a 10-day period, which is about to end. And there is about nothing in this world that I will not do to be with you. So, I just wanted to tell you everything about myself."

Seher smiled gently and expressed concern, "I'm sorry, Ian. I'm making you do this, and I'm making you uncomfortable." Maximilian reassured her, "No, sweetheart. You're not making me uncomfortable at all. I've told you before, Seher, that with you, I want the long haul. I want everything with you. So to have everything with you, we both need to know each other. Start to end. And you have done your part,  coming and bravely telling me about everything, the most painful parts of you. And things about my life are nowhere as painful as yours are. And you dared to say them out loud, just to build this relationship. So this is the bare minimum that I can do, that I have to do, that I want to do. Okay?"

Seher took Maximilian's hand in hers and laid a soft kiss on the back of it, conveying wordlessly that she was there with him, reciprocating the support he had given her.

Maximilian began after taking a deep breath. "My grandfather, Konstantin Anton Belitsky, my mother's father, arrived in America at the age of 17 or 18. Three families, including his, relocated together and settled in Texas, where the men established a business. At 21 years old, my grandfather was arranged to marry a daughter from the other family, who later became my grandmother. They had a happy marriage, and my mother was born when my grandfather was 22. Subsequently, he opened a bed and breakfast."