Chapter 31: A Fork in the Path

As the clock approached midnight, everyone in the Mitchell house was deep in sleep, except for Seher. She looked at the clock as it struck 12, officially marking her 25th birthday. However, her immediate focus wasn't on her age but on the little girl sleeping beside her.

Seher intentionally had her daughter, Meher, sleep in her room that night. The child lay sprawled in a starfish-like manner, her small hands and feet reaching in different directions. Seher admired the beauty of her daughter-the closed emerald green eyes, sharp features, and untamed jet-black curls.

Though not superstitious, Seher couldn't help but take a precautionary step. She applied a small mark on Meher's temple with her kohl stick, a simple gesture to protect her from any potential harm. Smiling at this newfound ritual, Seher recognized her shift toward embracing the customs of a typical Indian mom.

Taking a moment to cherish the enchanting sight, Seher leaned down and softly kissed Meher's forehead. In the quiet of the night, she whispered, "Happy birthday, mera baccha. I hope aap hamesha khush raho. I promise you that I'll try my best to give you the world. Aapki mumma aapko ek strong girl banaegi, independent banaegi. You are my heart baby. I love you the most." expressing her heartfelt wishes in the serene room.
(Happy birthday, my child. I hope you always stay happy. I promise you that I'll try my best to give you the world. Your mom will make you a strong girl, independent. You are my heart baby. I love you the most.)

Seher, lost in admiration of her daughter, inadvertently teared up, and a single tear cascaded down Meher's chubby cheek. Wiping it away gently, Seher bestowed two soft kisses on Meher's cheeks. While adjusting her kicked-off comforter, Seher's phone buzzed on the nightstand. Surrounded by pillows, Meher slept soundly, providing Seher a moment to glance at her before grabbing the phone. As expected, it was Elaine Anderson, the woman who, over the past 25 years, had offered something akin to motherly love that Seher could recall.

With another fleeting look at the peacefully sleeping Meher, Seher retreated to the balcony, swiftly donned her earphones, and joined the video call featuring Elaine and Richard. Smiling at the familiar faces on the screen, Seher heard Elaine's warm wishes, "Many happy returns of the day, darling. Happy birthday. I love and miss you. Come meet me; I'm back in Chicago, and I have so much to tell you."

Richard, on Elaine's end, playfully seized the phone, insisting on extending his birthday wishes before allowing any "girly chit-chat." Seher chuckled at his antics as he addressed her, "Happy birthday, my Bambi. Come meet your old man to get your birthday gift and the other 500 gifts Ellie brought for you from India, some random stuff that I don't even know the name of."

Amidst laughter, Seher expressed her gratitude, recognizing the warmth and humor conveyed by Richard. As she thanked them profusely, Seher felt a deep sense of appreciation for the surrogate family that Elaine and Richard had become in her life.

Richard then inquired, "It's my cupcake's birthday too. I know she's sleeping, but can you let me see her face? I miss her so much." Seher smiled and responded, "Sure, she's sleeping, sprawled on the bed. I'll show you." Entering the room, she reversed the camera, unveiling Meher's peaceful slumber to Elaine and Richard. Elaine was visibly moved, and Seher felt a pang in her heart.

Amidst her responsibilities with the Mitchells, Seher had unintentionally neglected to visit Elaine and Richard, who had become like family. First due to their stay in India, and later with the ongoing complexities involving Amelia and Daniel, Seher hadn't prioritized these relationships. Making a mental note, she resolved to take Meher and visit them soon, recognizing the genuine affection between them.

Returning the camera to herself, Seher stepped onto the balcony as Elaine implored, "Come see me, Seher. I miss you, and I miss my little baby." Seher smiled, assuring Elaine, "I will come meet you very soon." Richard interjected, "I'll hold on to that promise, Bambi. I don't care much about seeing you, but I really need to see my cupcake. You cannot keep her away from me."