Chapter 15: Temptations

Seher and Daniel, dressed to the nines, exited Shanghai Terrace, a prestigious Chinese restaurant in Chicago, after an awaited date night. The weather had finally cooperated, and they had found a suitable temporary babysitter for the evening, ensuring that their romantic outing could take place without any disruptions.

Initially, Daniel had contemplated hiring a local high school student to babysit, but Seher raised concerns about the potential gossip that might arise. She didn't want people in their community to speculate that Daniel was hiring a temporary nanny to go on a date with his regular nanny. To avoid any scandal, Daniel opted for a professional nanny from an agency and even had her sign a non-disclosure agreement. He was keen on protecting his reputation, particularly since he aspired to secure a contract with Labyrinth Hospitality.

After indulging in a sumptuous Chinese meal at the restaurant, Seher had overindulged, leading her to playfully claim, "I literally have a food baby in there; I ate so much." Daniel laughed, content that she had enjoyed the meal, and acknowledged that the food was indeed delicious.

Seher jokingly alluded to the cost of their dinner, teasing that Daniel hadn't allowed her to see the bill. Daniel, grinning, rolled his eyes and boasted, "Didn't even make a dent in my day's work, baby."

Seher responded by playfully slapping his arm, accusing him of being a show-off, and then scrunched her nose, to which Daniel responded by playfully booping her nose with his index finger.

To outsiders, they seemed like a typical happy couple enjoying a brief escape from their parental duties. However, their relationship remained largely unchanged during the three months they had spent dating as friends. Seher had been adamant about not labeling their relationship, as she refused to become his official girlfriend or engage in anything beyond friendship until he was committed and a physical relationship was off the table. Her culture and values dictated this decision, as she couldn't compromise her principles by engaging in a romantic relationship with a married man.

As a result, they maintained their status as friends, holding hands, sharing playful affection, making jokes, and engaging in late-night conversations. Seher had ceased inquiring about Daniel's wife, Amelia, realizing his reluctance to discuss her. She had temporarily set aside the topic to avoid unnecessary conflict, but she planned to revisit it in a few weeks to seek clarity.

Seher found herself slowly falling for Daniel, fearing that he might not truly mean what he said. This realization and the growing fear of losing him weighed heavily on her, especially since he wasn't ready to address the subject.

While Daniel was content in his day-to-day life, he hadn't thought about Amelia for nearly a month since their day in the park, and Seher had also ceased mentioning her. As they neared their car, Daniel helped Seher inside and switched on the car's heater, providing them with warmth before their journey home. However, he didn't want to leave just yet; he craved a few more moments of togetherness in close proximity. As he gazed at her, dressed in her white dress, he couldn't resist gently touching her cheek and tucking a wisp of hair behind her ear. In a near trance, he expressed, "You, my love, are so beautiful. I sometimes can't even believe it." Blushing, Seher responded cheekily, "Well, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder." He chuckled and playfully asked her why she never accepted compliments when she was undeniably beautiful.

Seher just smiled at him. After a moment or two, she gently said, "Um, Daniel, not that I'm not loving the view," while gesturing toward the streetlights and the dark road. "But, don't you think you'd have to start the car and drive it for us to reach home?" Her tone carried a touch of sarcasm, highlighting the fact that they'd been in the car for nearly five minutes without moving.

Daniel chuckled and replied, "Well, Seher, would you believe me if I said that I wanted a few more minutes of your undivided attention when you're so close to me? At home, you keep your distance, fearing that the children or one of the house staff might see us, and I'm quite enjoying this proximity, where you're within arm's reach."