Chapter 55: Clarity in Chaos

Seher gently took Daniel's hand and expressed, "Daniel, I know you gave me a few days to come to a decision, but I don't need a few days because it's not today that I've thought about it. I've contemplated it for weeks, ever since the first day we started exploring this. And many lives are involved in this situation between us. So, I just want to tell you."

With a nod and bated breath, Daniel listened as Seher continued, "Daniel, when you asked me out on that date, when you told me you were developing feelings for me, during our time in New York, I said yes. Each time you asked me something, I said yes. Because, as you mentioned, you articulated all the right things, made promises that sounded right, but I was apprehensive. I'll be honest, every time I felt a sense of apprehension because I was going against my principles to be with a married man, which you were and still are. But I said yes because something in me believed in your promises. Yet, a larger part of me wanted to tell you to first divorce your wife before pursuing anything with me."

Seher continued with a sense of solemnity, "There was this small part of me that urged me to give you a chance, to give 'us' a chance. Because, Daniel, you are the very first person in my life, after Richard and Elaine, who has bestowed attention upon me-not romantic male attention, but genuine care and consideration. You are the first person in my life who has offered something akin to friendship, who has listened, and who treats me as an equal, despite our professional roles. Even though I was your employee, you regarded me as your equal. You are the first person ever in my life, Daniel, who thought about making me feel special-celebrating my festivals, asking me out, assisting me with my daughter, despite my role in helping you with your son. All those gestures were so beautiful, Daniel, and you still are, that I couldn't help but be drawn to you."

Seher grinned as she looked at him, "And the fact that you are so incredibly good-looking-have you seen yourself in the mirror? I mean, God forbid, if your company does not work out, you can go be a model or something. You are that good-looking. You tell me that you staggered a step when you first saw me. I had to prepare myself for seeing you every day by googling your images and talking to your images on my phone, so that I could look into your grey eyes and talk to you. I have not been around such beautiful people in my life," Seher said, and Daniel let out a chuckle, a hint of pink tinting his cheeks.

He replied, "Don't flatter me." Seher shook her head and said, "I am not flattering you; it's the truth. So when you were saying all those things, Daniel, I thought, God somehow packaged you for me and gave you to me. You were at fault, but so was I because if you did not question your feelings, I didn't question yours either."

Daniel shook his head and replied, "It's not your fault, my love." Seher looked at him sternly and stated, "Another thing, Daniel, you cannot call me 'my love.' I've heard you call Amelia that."

Daniel, realizing his mistake, nodded and said, "You're right but it's not specific to Amelia. I use 'my love' with everyone-female friends, friends'wives, Liam, Meher, you, all the beautiful people in my life. I just wanted to clarify. What I call Amelia, and what I've given her that nobody else uses, is Amy. So, everyone close to her calls her Mel or Leah; her parents called her that. Amy is exclusive to me, and nobody else calls her that. I would never use 'my love' for you in that way, Seher. I am not that person."

Seher nodded, saying, "Well, then that's all right; you can call me that." They shared a laugh, and Seher continued, "So, Daniel, the time we spent together in New York, especially when we went to that Chinese restaurant, was amazing. It was the best time I've ever had. You made me laugh, smile, genuinely made me happy. Your son, God, you are a lucky man. He's a gift, and he made me so happy. The fact that you and Liam gave unconditional love to us, girls, when we were nobody to you, is amazing. That has to be the best time in my life to date."