Chapter 51: Hopes and Dreams

Today marked a significant milestone for Seher Sandhu - the day she would step into a new chapter of her life, embodying the role of a business owner, an independent woman ready to carve her name doing what she loved. The night leading up to this momentous day had been sleepless for Seher, who found herself caught in a whirlwind of nerves and excitement. Rising at 4 a.m., she dedicated herself to meticulous preparations for the grand opening of Saffron Street at 8 a.m.

Seher's morning routine included a refreshing bath, accompanied by the challenge of selecting the perfect outfit. After trying on four different dresses, she settled on a long skirt adorned with bandhani tie and dye designs in a stunning magenta pink, a souvenir from Elaine's time in India. Paired with a white tank top, Seher added her ever-present watch on her left hand and her kadha on her right. A touch of traditional elegance came with a bindi on her forehead, complemented by silver oxidized earrings.

As Seher stepped into the living room, ensuring Meher was peacefully asleep, she observed that the sun had yet to rise. Draping one of her scarves over her head, she entered a moment of prayer, lighting a ghee lamp in her temple setting. With closed eyes, she fervently prayed for happiness and fortune on this special day. Her wishes extended to the success of her new venture, envisioning a life for her daughter that she truly deserved.

Emerging from her prayers, Seher stood tall, a radiant smile replacing the earlier nervousness. She was prepared to embrace the day and embark on this new chapter as the executive chef of Saffron Street by Seher Sandhu.

As Seher immersed herself in the final preparations for the day, she also took a moment to prepare snacks for those who would be part of this significant event. In her heart and soul, Seher had embraced Richard and Elaine, along with Robert and Sienna, as her family. Their unwavering support, tireless work, and genuine care mirrored the actions of a true family.

However, a concern lingered in Seher's mind. Despite their familial bond, there was an impending discussion about the cost of the services provided by Robert and Sienna. Initially, the understanding was that a price quote would be shared once the construction and work were complete. Yet, as the venture reached its conclusion, reluctance surrounded the revelation of the incurred expenses.

Seher sighed, acknowledging that addressing this financial matter would be a challenging conversation. Despite her close bond with Sienna, recent interactions with Robert had elevated him to a trusted friend. He not only assisted and joked with her but demonstrated a keen understanding of unspoken concerns.

As the grand opening of Saffron Street approached, Seher realized the necessity of a candid conversation about finances with Robert and Sienna. While she had embraced them as family, she was determined not to take undue advantage. Seher recognized that they, too, had a business to run, and she was prepared to express her understanding of this reality. She anticipated that this dialogue would be a task, especially since her attempts at asserting herself often resulted in Robert laughing directly in her face.

As the clock neared 7 AM, Seher lovingly roused her daughter from sleep, showering her with hugs. Opting for a short bath to avoid getting wet, Seher, in her own tired state, dressed Meher in a dark green long skirt with a matching bandhani print, paired with a yellow sleeveless top-another thoughtful gift from Elaine. For this special occasion, Seher had indulged in tiny yellow bangles for her daughter from a local Indian market, matching the vibrant theme.

Taking care of every detail, Seher crafted two tiny braids at the front of Meher's hair, securing them with a clip at the back. During the dressing ritual, Meher, in her own silent way, expressed a desire for a bindi, and though Seher wasn't keen on excessive accessories for little girls, she gently applied a small green bindi on her daughter's forehead. Completing the look with sandals, Meher, with her characteristic flair, admired herself in the mirror from various angles, twirling around as she joyfully declared, "Mommy, Meher pwincess!"