Chapter 82: The Dawn

"Do you resent me now that I've revealed I'm a killer, a murderer?" Seher asked quietly, her gaze fixed ahead. Maximilian simply looked at her and chuckled. She turned her head toward him, questioning the reason for his laughter. Maximilian looked at her, "Do you think I would distance myself from you just because you're supposedly a murderer? No, Seher, I wouldn't. Sorry to burst your bubble, but you are not a murderer. What you did was an act of self-defense; he would have either killed you or worse. Baby, fuck, you are so strong. You were 22, and you know, up until this evening, I had feelings for you. I liked you, loved what you cooked for me, adored you as Meher's mother, and found you beautiful. But the respect I have for you now, Seher, surpasses all those emotions. I feel like sitting down at your feet and just worshipping you. You have so much strength. Buffoon was right," Maximilian said. Seher looked at him in confusion, asking, "Buffoon?" Maximilian shrugged, "Yeah, well, that goon who assisted you."

Seher wiped away her tears and gazed at Maximilian with a hopeful expression, "You truly don't mind? Your feelings remain the same even after learning that I killed my husband, and stabbed him to death, Ian?" Maximilian smiled, "Baby, when I share my life story with you, you'll understand why this doesn't faze me. Right now, I'm curious about how Rocky orchestrated everything for you to enter America without arousing suspicion, especially considering they must have discovered the dead body and all."

Seher nodded, "Yes, so I reached Rocky's house, waking up in the morning with Meher peacefully asleep beside me. I found myself in a room, my wounds bandaged, and an IV attached. Rocky informed me about a few wounds, two broken ribs, and the necessity to stay immobile for at least three days. When I recounted the horrifying events, I feared he might retract his help, as I was no longer just someone escaping from my family but a murderer. To my surprise, he simply smiled and assured me, saying everything would be taken care of and my task was to relax.

"I feared the police might come for both of us, but Rocky remained unfazed. He assured me that his boss was now involved and he could handle Amardeep's body, while I could stay safe in his house. A week later, in the dead of night, I would be transported to Chandigarh airport, boarding a flight to Chicago. Rocky had arranged a work visa for me through his connections, presenting the whole scenario as entirely legitimate. The initial three months included a small home funded by the company, along with an apparent job, that also transferred a weekly paycheck to me, money essentially given by Rocky"

Seher elaborated. "Within this period, I needed to secure alternative employment to avoid demotion. Settling into the temporary home, the first few weeks were marked by numbness, reliving that dreadful night. Sleep eluded me, and eating became a struggle. Caring for a baby was uncharted territory for me, but I strived, learning the ropes from YouTube. Constantly monitoring the news for any updates on Amardeep's demise or the Indian police seeking me yielded nothing. After a few weeks, I summoned the courage to resume my employment search. A month later, I approached a babysitting agency, secured a job, and never looked back."

Maximilian acted without hesitation this time, pulling Seher close. She initially adjusted her head on his chest but then, as if recalling something, she straightened up. A frown crossed Maximilian's face, concerned that he might have breached a boundary, but Seher merely unwrapped herself from her blanket and enclosed both of them in it. She leaned back into his arms, resting her head on his chest, attuned to his steady heartbeat. The emotional recounting had drained her, yet a profound sense of relief accompanied the openness. Seher hoped that whatever Maximilian shared wouldn't push them apart, allowing them the chance to find happiness together.

A serene silence enveloped the room, both figures basking in the comfort of each other's embrace. Maximilian, having casually discarded his shoes, propped his feet on the coffee table. Meanwhile, Seher nestled into his arms, finding solace in the gentle caress of his hand on her head.