Chapter 73: An evening of Divinity

Seher halted in awe as she whispered, "Oh my God!" In front of her stood a breathtaking Gurdwara in the Chicago countryside - a marble-white building crowned with gold. She closed her eyes, absorbing the echoes of chants and catching the faint scent of warm Kada Prasad. Opening her eyes, a serene smile graced her face as Maximilian observed her. Tears welled up, and she gazed at the Gurdwara for a moment. As tears streamed down her face, memories flooded back, and the Gurdwara felt like a piece of home, a touch of heaven. With a gentle hand, she wiped away her tears, focusing on Maximilian, who stood before her with Meher in his arms, a look of evident confusion on his face.

She gazed at him and whispered, "You brought me to a Gurdwara." Maximilian nodded in agreement, "If you do not want to go inside, we can go back." She vehemently shook her head, "Ian, you don't realize what you've done for me. You've brought me to a Gurdwara." Overwhelmed, she couldn't say more, and Maximilian gently held her cheek, advising, "Take a deep breath, sweetheart. It's alright. Let's go in, yes? The evening prayers are about to start."

Seher gasped in delight, recalling that she had mentioned in a letter what she missed about her country. She had expressed her longing for the Rehras Sahib, the Gurdwara evening prayer, and he had brought her here. Despite not being of the culture, unfamiliar with her faith or worship, and having substantial wealth at his disposal, he had done something remarkably thoughtful - picked up this information from one of her letters and brought her to a place that held a deep significance for her.

As Seher assisted both Meher and Maximilian in tying scarves around their heads, they proceeded toward the waterbed. Maximilian gently placed Meher on the ground, allowing her to wash her feet alongside the adults. Enjoying the playful splashes, Maximilian lifted her again, using his handkerchief to wipe her feet dry. Seher observed this tender scene with admiration.

As they resumed their walk toward the main building, Seher halted Maximilian, "Put her down, let her walk." Maximilian promptly shook his head, "It's okay, she's alright in my arms. At least her feet are not touching the cold marble. Don't want her catching a cold." Seher chuckled at his protective nature, to which he simply continued walking, Meher in his arms, with Seher following suit.

As they entered, Seher took the lead and positioned herself in front of the Guru Granth Sahib, with Maximilian following suit. Closing her eyes, Seher wore a serene smile as she began her prayer. Gratitude was the first sentiment she expressed, acknowledging the blessings bestowed upon her, especially in recent months. She extended her thanks for the newfound family in her life. Seher then moved on to her requests, asking for God's continued protection, health, and happiness for her little Mahi, family and friends. In a more personal plea, she sought strength and guidance, concluding her prayer with a heartfelt appreciation for Maximilian, recognizing his presence, care, and the role he played in bringing her to this sacred place today.

Maximilian, who had gently placed Meher on the carpet, observed Seher with a sense of awe. He took in the serene expression on her face, the subtle smile gracing her lips, and even the movements of her eyeballs behind closed lids. The atmosphere exuded peace and tranquility, with the distant chirping of birds and the faint echo of chants playing through the speakers. Amidst this calm, the subtle preparations by the Gurdwara staff added a sense of anticipation. Seher, retrieving a dollar bill from her bag, donated, and Maximilian followed suit. After circling the worship area, they settled down as the Rehras Sahib, the evening prayer, commenced.

Thirty minutes later, as the prayers concluded, Seher opened her eyes, adjusting to the surrounding light. The Gurdwara priest, known as Bhaiji, commenced distributing the prasad. A nostalgic smile graced Seher's lips as she reminisced about her younger days when she always asked for extra halwa. Despite the impending punishment awaiting her at home, she would linger an extra 15 minutes after everyone left, hoping to receive a bit of the additional halwa left for devotees. The love for it surpassed the fear of consequences. She even recalled saving 10 rupees weekly in her pillowcase to contribute to the donation box at her village Gurdwara.