Chapter 78: Soul Baring

In the three days since their date, Seher and Maximilian remained in constant contact. Letters were exchanged as per Maximilian's instructions, and he made a point to call her after each meeting, posing light questions about her preferences, dislikes, dreams, and aspirations. Despite this ongoing communication, Seher had not found the right opportunity to share the 10-day ultimatum she had given herself. Discussing such a personal matter over the phone seemed inadequate, and considering Maximilian's busy week, she hesitated to ask him to meet in person.

During one such conversation, Seher responded to Maximilian's inquiry about Shah Rukh, saying, "Ian, what is it with you? Ever since I mentioned he's my favorite, you've fixated on that. In India, it's different from America - it's not just fans, but worshippers. While I'm just a casual fan of his; he has a devoted following. His house in Mumbai, Mannat, is a testament to that. Millions gather on his birthday and movie releases."

Maximilian remarked, "This is crazy," and then asked, "Have you ever been one of those people?"

Seher sadly smiled, "I've never been to Mumbai. My travels were limited - mostly to Chandigarh and Amritsar. As a kid, I dreamt of going to Mumbai, standing there with a cake I made, among those fans, watching Shah Rukh come out of his balcony." She shook her head, changing the topic, "And what about you, sir? You've fixated on my favorites. Tell me, what kind of movies do you like?"

Maximilian chuckled on the other end and responded, "Believe it or not, I haven't had much time to enjoy movies to develop a favorite genre or actors and--" Seher gasped and interrupted, "--Oh my God, you don't watch movies? Ian, that's so boring. What do you do with your free time?" she asked, exasperated. Maximilian continued, "Well, sweetheart, truth be told, whenever I do have free time, I prefer to close my eyes and enjoy some silence, with a glass of Stoli. It's a luxury I don't get much with the hustle and bustle of the company and everything."

With a gentle tone, Seher inquired, "Why do you work yourself to the point of exhaustion? I understand that you are a successful businessman with numerous responsibilities, but, comparing it to my previous employer Daniel, who also owned a company, he rarely seemed overwhelmed. Is it because your company is larger than his, or is it due to not having family obligations, allowing you to devote yourself entirely to work?"

Maximilian appreciated her concern and keen observations, "Malyshka, I never really considered it because when I share details about my life, you'll realize I never had the luxury to ponder what I truly wanted. Now, having reached a certain position, I can acknowledge that something was missing in my life until the most beautiful, brown-eyed woman and her little daughter-my own little blessing-walked into my life." His words carried raw honesty, causing Seher to catch her breath, tears welling up in her eyes.

She sniffled as Maximilian chuckled and remarked, "You cry at the littlest things, zoloste, yet you're remarkably strong, raising your daughter on your own. So much strength with such a soft heart." Seher responded with a watery chuckle, "We should share more about ourselves, Ian, as this is progressing so rapidly that I fear I won't have time to catch up before I'm deeply invested." Maximilian hummed on his side, "You're right, and truth be told, Seher, I believe I'm already beyond the point of no return. Nonetheless, we must do that soon."

"Ian," Seher softly inquired, hesitating before continuing, "Would you-um, I mean, it's totally okay if not, but-can you, did you-"

Maximillian interrupted her, "Why the hesitation, sweetheart? You can tell me anything and you can ask anything of me. You never have to hesitate, Seher."

In a single breath, she muttered, "Can you come over right now?" After a few moments of silence, Maximillian chuckled, "Baby, now can you say it in a language that I understand, with spaces?"