Chapter 86: What a future!

Beatrice seethed with more than mere anger; she was incensed, fueled by a situation named Victor Sergei Romanov. He wasn't just a man; he was a relentless plague that had gripped Beatrice. The issue with this "virus" was that she knew she could rid herself of it, yet every time it flared up, it provided such pleasure, such a good time, that she found herself unable to let go. Aware that this man would only bring heartache, their relationship had begun with a no-strings-attached, mutual pleasure-guaranteed kind of deal. However, she reluctantly acknowledged that she was slowly growing fond of him.

Fond of what, she often pondered, for Victor possessed no redeeming qualities, or so she often told herself. Undeniably handsome, he exhibited a commendable sense of humor and occasional kindness, showcasing a hidden good heart beneath the tough exterior. He didn't fit the mold of the typical brooding businessman found in novels. Despite familial issues, he navigated life as a normal guy with exceptional looks but an infuriating demeanor.

Despite the undeniable pleasure, he brings her both emotionally and physically, Victor has yet to express any interest in a relationship. While he genuinely cares for her, evidenced by his presence at her bedside during her three bouts of illness in Chicago, they maintain a no-strings-attached agreement. Although Beatrice is developing feelings, she refuses to broach the subject with him.

Her decision stems from a sense of self-respect and a refusal to repeat the patterns of her past. He may be Maximilian Romanov's brother but she is the sister of Vincenzo Lombardi and she won't submit to seeking confirmation of Victor's feelings, giving him the chance to discard her as others have done. Beatrice is determined not to let Victor become just another man in her life who exploits her for personal gain and then abandons her.

Beatrice acknowledged that her childhood issues were surfacing, but Victor had shown no inclination toward a relationship. He seemed content with the benefits their arrangement provided, namely uncountable orgasms. Despite this, Victor, the vexing interloper, persisted in meddling in every aspect of her life.

Initially, they had established clear boundaries for their arrangement, with Victor promising not to interfere in her life and vice versa. Yet, inexplicably, he felt entitled to influence her decisions, even going so far as to compel her to cancel a date with a genuinely nice guy from accounting, Ryan. Beatrice appreciated Ryan's qualities - he was her age, a hardworking intern at Labyrinth, and had simpler goals, making him the type of person she desired in her life.

She had endured enough of overbearing men like her brother and grandfather. What she sought was a normal, content guy, someone with typical issues like mortgages and perhaps an affinity for gaming. Beatrice had no desire for a Greek God-like figure with overwhelming arrogance, also named Victor.

With a deep breath, she entered Saffron Street, slamming the door of his Lamborghini as hard as she could, venting her anger. Aware that he was trailing her, the irritating pest whistled a tune - a bold move after essentially coercing her into canceling her date with Ryan. Shaking her head, she surveyed the café, and her anger dissipated in the face of its beauty and homely atmosphere.

The strong aroma of lemongrass mixed with various spices emanated from the kitchen, while the mustard yellow and orange décor adorned with yellow and red flowers created a warm and bright ambiance. The oil lamps on the tables and the intricate drawings on the floor added to the picturesque setting, evoking a movie-set feel that brought a smile to her face.

Realization dawned that today marked the day she would meet Seher, the woman rumored to have captured her boss's, or technically her boss's boss's heart. Having known Maximilian for a few years, working closely with him as his brother's assistant had exposed her to the intricacies of his character. Despite being a family friend, it took her nearly a week to gather the courage to properly look at the man when she had first joined the company. Witnessing such a formidable figure soften intrigued her greatly, and she was eager to meet the woman responsible.